Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Seeking experienced site advice

Member #

Seeking experienced site advice

Greetings all,
    Building my own ecommerce site. A bit overwhelmed at the choices for literally everything.
    What works and what do I need to avoid.
    Looking for refferals, pros AND cons of basic site design (standard templates mainly), and cart systems.
    I see several places like "shopify" that seem to offer templates and carts for a monthly fee.
    Does that take care of everything for me? or are there other aspects I am not aware of.

I am selling just a couple of office related products, but obviouly if things go well, more will be added.
    I need a cart system that is secure, and straight forward.
    What is PayPal all about? Better than credit cards? Gotta have credit cards.

Key word is "simple"
    I will be the - one - modifying the images and copy on the site, receiving and shipping orders etc.

If anyone knows a FAQ page I can go to or a different site altogether that can help get me started please let me know.

Thanks,
    Rick

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    You're going to get too many different answers for us ...

It doesn't sound like you have much development experience (with PHP, MySQL, AJAX, etc), so you should either hire a programmer or use an online service that charges a monthly fee. You'll have to also pay for credit card processing and that is also connected to your bank. The online services may help you set that up?

Unless you know how to program, it's going to cost you some $$.

I've never used an online service for ecommerce, so I don't have any advice on who to choose.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    PayPal is, for most people, a secure means of payment that works as follows (I say "most people" because there is an exception but one that you're highly unlikely to encounter):

1) User picks out item(s) or service(s) (s)he wishes to purchase.
    2) User goes to PayPal and selects a bank account or credit card that was previously set up as a method of payment. If user is new to PayPal, (s)he will be given the option to set up an account or pay by credit card.
    3) User pays and returns to website.

So that answers your credit card question if you want to use PayPal. Mind you, if you want to increase conversions you may want to look at adding in a payment processing form on your site (which can actually tie to PayPal as well, but that's more complex).

As far as the rest of your question...there is no "simple". There is no "easy". There is no templated service or shopping cart system that you can can download or pay for, set up a template, and then see sale after sale after sale after sale while you collect the money hand over fist. This is a common misconception, and it is exactly that...a misconception. If this is your misconception, get it out of your head now because if you don't, you're going to be very disappointed later. I've been building e-commerce sites for 13 years, and there are always complications of some sort (product variants, custom product attributes, shipping tables and/or connecting to third party shipping companies such as Oops and FedEccch, tracking sales, marketing / content experiments, holds on a credit card as opposed to sales because you don't charge the card until the product is shipped, and several other things).

That's why you're overwhelmed right now...you're supposed to be. You're not just building a website. You're not just "selling online". You are starting a business. You need to treat it as such.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    WordPress with WooCommerce is my recommendation. You can accept both PayPal or Stripe.JS. If they don't have a PayPal account and want to pay with that, Stripe.JS will collect their cc info and handle it on their system, it never touches your server, meaning you don't have to worry about PCI compliance, you just need an SSL cert and those are cheap:
    https://stripe.com/docs/stripe.js
    https://www.namecheap.com/ssl-certificates/comodo.aspx <-- Cheap, functional SSL for $7.95.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    That is 100% not true, noodles, and that's extremely dangerous advice.

If you're hosting a payment form of any sort, you need to make sure you're PCI compliant. Using a Javascript provided by someone else doesn't do a thing to ensure PCI compliance, keep the merchant from harvesting the card info when the form is submitted (jQuery could do that, for example), and/or stop a payment form from being hacked. And if you're hacked, it's your fault. An SSL alone won't suffice, either...if you host a payment page, you're responsible for ensuring that nothing happens and that your site passes regular PCI compliance checks (usually every 3 months, but can be more or less depending on the payment processor):

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/smb/

I don't know why any legitimate payment processor would use Javascript to submit a transaction, either. A responsible payment processor would never encourage any merchant to reveal any details whatsoever in client-side code as it pertains to the account (in this case, the "Publishable Key"). That's absolutely mind-boggling.

As far as WP and WooCommerce...no. Just...no. No. No, no, no, no, no, NO. It's bad enough that people are using that bloated piece of insanity to build websites. It was never intended to be used for storefront purposes and shouldn't be.

WordPress WooCommerce 2.0.12 Cross Site Scripting ? Packet Storm
    http://forum.arvixe.com/smf/wordpres...s-and-plugins/

If you use open source products for e-commerce, stop.
    Fireproofgfx and noodles415 like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    That is 100% not true, noodles, and that's extremely dangerous advice.

If you're hosting a payment form of any sort, you need to make sure you're PCI compliant. Using a Javascript provided by someone else doesn't do a thing to ensure PCI compliance, keep the merchant from harvesting the card info when the form is submitted (jQuery could do that, for example), and/or stop a payment form from being hacked. And if you're hacked, it's your fault. An SSL alone won't suffice, either...if you host a payment page, you're responsible for ensuring that nothing happens and that your site passes regular PCI compliance checks (usually every 3 months, but can be more or less depending on the payment processor):

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/smb/

I don't know why any legitimate payment processor would use Javascript to submit a transaction, either. A responsible payment processor would never encourage any merchant to reveal any details whatsoever in client-side code as it pertains to the account (in this case, the "Publishable Key"). That's absolutely mind-boggling.

As far as WP and WooCommerce...no. Just...no. No. No, no, no, no, no, NO. It's bad enough that people are using that bloated piece of insanity to build websites. It was never intended to be used for storefront purposes and shouldn't be.

WordPress WooCommerce 2.0.12 Cross Site Scripting ? Packet Storm
    Vulnerabilities in WooCommerce (latest version) and 2 other themes and plugins.

It's completely accurate. I have information straight from the source!
    webdesignforum.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I can't see that picture, dude. Do you have a bigger one?

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Yes, this stupid vBulletin trash shrunk it. I can email you a bigger one?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post

Excuse me for asking this but could you expand on this... I Am new to forum and learning, as quick as I can.

I have been tasked with 1) updating and managing our diving website and 2) creating an online store for our scuba diving products, I have chosen Opencart due to my lack of programming ability for the PHP but as I learn CSS and HTML I am able to make changes to layout etc..

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    No worries. I can expand on that. I kind of thought I did, but my bad.

Basically, what it comes down to are two reasons:

1) Security. Open source means everyone has access to your code. Everyone. That means anyone can look at it, find a vulnerability, exploit it, and you won't be aware of it right away if at all. Yes, vulnerabilities can exist with closed source, but it's generally less worthwhile for a hacker or someone who wishes to do damage to attack a closed source custom programmed cart than it is to attack an open source cart. The latter has a larger payload, and is therefore more worthwhile.

2) Customizations and flexibility. Open source carts are generally such a bloated mess that they're very difficult to customize, whereas one with decent programming skills can build a cart and customize it much more easily.

Take the following example: I have a client whose inventory was all stored on Amazon. I had to build an importer to bring the data in from Amazon, including all variants. I also had to build exporters to output the inventory to eBay and Rakuten (formerly buy.com). I'm also working on an add-on to export pricing / quantity data back to Amazon.com. There may or may not be a cart that can do that, but I doubt there is.

This is far from the only example of something I've had to customize. It's one of the simpler ones, actually. But it's something I've been asked to do.

Remove Ads