Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question SlideShow for a website (HTML)

HI guys,
    I was wondering if you could help me with this. I am building a website for a wedding; I need to put a slideshow in one of the pages with all the pictures from the wedding. I've done this before, but usually I have to mention every single picture in the code. I want to use a slideshow that grabs all pictures once they are in a folder.
    The main reason behind that is that is, people will be uploading pictures to this folder from everywhere, so I want the pictures to be added to the slideshow as soon as they are in that folder.
    Does anybody know if there's something like that already available out there?

Thanks in advance.
    :banghead:

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    There are a few things I can see that you'll need to address ...

1) ANYONE can upload photos? Does this mean each of the uploaders need to have a username and password? Or can "anyone" literally upload photos?

2) People will be uploading photos from their HD cameras. You might have file sizes like 12MB, or maybe 30MB or more, if they have a really expensive camera with great resolution. Most people won't know how to resize them, or change resolution. You'll have problems uploading large files.

3) People will want to upload videos ... again, filesizes in the 200MB+ ...

4) You'll have to deal with copyright issues. If someone uploads photos from a professional photographer (not their own), now you have a big problem. Even if the upload is unintentional or unknowing, the owner of the website is solely responsible.

5) Will everyone be aware that once uploaded, the photos are open to anyone who wants to copy them?

To address those issues, if they need to be taken care of, will require more than just a simple PHP script.
    Last edited by mlseim; Nov 27th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Member #
    OK, what if I reduce the users to just me and that way we get rid of all the variables? No videos, just pictures.

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    Now you're into something you can do. They would email you the photos and you upload them using FTP (into a folder).

If you can get them into a folder, a PHP script can dynamically create a webpage that uses LightBox or PrettyPhoto:
    http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com/...ightbox-clone/

Let me know if that's the route you wish to take. Below is an explanation and demo of how it looks.

And let me know the name of the directory where your photos are stored (on your website).

I also recommend that you use some photo editor to create a thumbnail for each photo. Use the same photo filename, but append t_ to the beginning of each filename (to indicate it's a thumbnail). Upload thumbnails into a directory called "thumbnails".

If the thumbnails are a square image (cropped from the full-size), they look nicer when put together in a grid. If you use rectangles, some will be portrait and some will be landscape ... it will look goofy. The example script is 60X60 pixels.

/index.php ... your main page
    /photos/ ... the fullsize photos
    /photos/thumbnails/ ... the thumbnails

There is also a place to put photo caption. Since you only have photos, there is no database for captions, but if you make the photo filename a caption, PHP could convert to a caption .. example.

Wedding_procession.jpg
    Cutting_of_the_cake.jpg

use only letters and numbers, no punctuation. Use underscore as spaces.

Still make the thumbnails ... by adding t_ in front.
    t_Cutting_of_the_cake.jpg

Even though the thumbnails are in their own directory, you should add t_ so you know it's a thumbnail just by looking at the filename. That keeps you from overwriting fullsize w/ thumbnails if the filenames were the same.

Here's a test example of what it looks like. Your stylesheet and layout of course is unknown to me.

Test: http://www.catpin.com/pphoto

Last edited by mlseim; Nov 27th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Try this: Download a good HTML slideshow theme with its coding if you are having problem in coding it.

Remove Ads