Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: critic my web layout, thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

critic my web layout, thanks

critic my web layout, thanks

brokerage-1.jpg

please and thank you

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Why? It's a template. Who cares?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    to have some advise sir,

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Stop creating desktop templates and build something useful. That's my advice. I'm not even being sarcastic, either.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    A layout doesn't mean anything. Any idiot can mock something up in Photoshop. Make something useful.

That out of the way, if you want a critique, here it is:

The header image is incredibly, unusably huge. If I don't have my browser window maximized while using only a desktop with a high resolution monitor, I can't see anything but the photo of completely random people.

The nav (I assume that's what they're for) buttons are chunky, don't match the rest of the design and look generally out of place. Also, what do those words mean? They don't help me locate information I need. I'd simply be clicking randomly hoping to find relevant information. That is, if I don't click the back button first.

The circles fit better in the design than the nav does, but again with the random words. I mean, I can gather what "Cast Study" means, but that's about it. You also have a weird fish-eye thing going on in those photos. It's a bit off-putting.

The biggest point, which I have yet to touch on, is who the heck are these guys? I gather that it's just supposed to be a template, so the logo...all the way at the bottom of the page...is my only indicator that it's a brokerage firm. But then, what of it? What kind of broker? What services do they offer? Why would I use them over my competition? What do those people in the photo have to do with brokerage? Why does the call-center girl have a white background behind her headset?

I'd be willing to bet you have an answer in your head for at least half of those questions, and probably half of the criticisms. The problem is, without something tangible and complete, what's in your head is useless. The answers to all of those questions (and more) should be so readily apparent in your design that I don't even think to ask them. When you create a design, even if it's just a PS mock-up, start by asking yourself this: "Who the heck are they, and why does anyone care?" The answer to the first question should be the first thing you see. The answer to the second should be the second thing you see. The rest is UI, searchable content and calls to action.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    A layout doesn't mean anything. Any idiot can mock something up in Photoshop. Make something useful.

That out of the way, if you want a critique, here it is:

The header image is incredibly, unusably huge. If I don't have my browser window maximized while using only a desktop with a high resolution monitor, I can't see anything but the photo of completely random people.

The nav (I assume that's what they're for) buttons are chunky, don't match the rest of the design and look generally out of place. Also, what do those words mean? They don't help me locate information I need. I'd simply be clicking randomly hoping to find relevant information. That is, if I don't click the back button first.

The circles fit better in the design than the nav does, but again with the random words. I mean, I can gather what "Cast Study" means, but that's about it. You also have a weird fish-eye thing going on in those photos. It's a bit off-putting.

The biggest point, which I have yet to touch on, is who the heck are these guys? I gather that it's just supposed to be a template, so the logo...all the way at the bottom of the page...is my only indicator that it's a brokerage firm. But then, what of it? What kind of broker? What services do they offer? Why would I use them over my competition? What do those people in the photo have to do with brokerage? Why does the call-center girl have a white background behind her headset?

I'd be willing to bet you have an answer in your head for at least half of those questions, and probably half of the criticisms. The problem is, without something tangible and complete, what's in your head is useless. The answers to all of those questions (and more) should be so readily apparent in your design that I don't even think to ask them. When you create a design, even if it's just a PS mock-up, start by asking yourself this: "Who the heck are they, and why does anyone care?" The answer to the first question should be the first thing you see. The answer to the second should be the second thing you see. The rest is UI, searchable content and calls to action.

thanks for the advise sir, its just a wireframe , thats why i'd askd some criticism on it ,

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    That's the problem...it's a wireframe for a fictional brokerage with no content, which means that you're creating a template that you're either going to give away or sell so that a bunch of idiot designer wannabes will propagate the web with a whole bunch of sites that look pretty much the same.

Why? Why are you doing that? Makes no sense.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    That's the problem...it's a wireframe for a fictional brokerage with no content, which means that you're creating a template that you're either going to give away or sell so that a bunch of idiot designer wannabes will propagate the web with a whole bunch of sites that look pretty much the same.

Why? Why are you doing that? Makes no sense.
    Not even really that. It's just a jpg posted on a forum on the interwebs at this point. We're just looking at an image of what a site may or may not eventually look like some day.

I don't have (though I fully grasp and appreciate your point on it) a problem with building and selling templates, but what we're looking at amounts to drawing a picture of a car and asking the other engineers what they think of it. They're just going to jump in and ask, "So what's it do?" They'll want to know so much more than a simple drawing can portray. That's why they generally build a prototype and show it at the Detroit Auto Show, and on the rare occasion you see a concept sketch, it's generally accompanied by proposed specs.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Are you saying that this probably wouldn't be considered sufficient information? Look at this awesome car I drawed! It gots a horn and evyfing!

my-kar.jpg
    Fireproofgfx and Ronald Roe like this.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Game1264,
    Do I have your permission to use your graphic drawing on my website? It's actually kinda cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads