Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: First site.

Member #

Smile First site.

Im starting my first site I'm trying to provide a place for members to post pics and videos of certain thing. I was wonder how much maintenance a web site like this will need. If possible I would like to make it self perpetuating where the content is provided by the users. I'd appreciate any input.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Short answer: "a lot", regardless of who posts the content.

If you post the content, you have to find it and post it.
    If "they" post the content, you have to moderate it and make sure people aren't posting unethical or illegal materials (specifically copyrighted materials).

Users will do anything at any time for any reason, and this is not what you want to tackle for your first site. Build something simple and work up to this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I was under the impression that if the users posted the material it was them that where breaking the law. If I where to make a disclaimer as my as part of my membership would that be a good start.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    *** DISCLAIMER OF MY OWN: I'm no lawyer, and my wife didn't let me stay at a Holiday Inn last night. As such, this is all provided "as is". Consult a lawyer for legally legal advice...legally. ***

Sure, they're breaking the law. In some cases it's intentional; in most cases it's completely accidental. In all cases, uploading illegal or unethical content makes that person responsible for it. The problem is that it isn't going to stop them from doing it, no matter what you say. If you allow people to upload things, they're going to upload things that can get themselves and you into trouble.

If you're running a site that allows for user submissions, you're generally granted what's known as safe harbor under certain circumstances i.e. you still need to have provisions in place for people to be able to easily report and remove your content. If you don't, you can be held accountable, as was Hotfile.

By the way, the two pages I linked to come from a site known as Plagiarism Today. Jonathan Bailey, the owner of that site (and one of the 7 billion people on the planet who isn't me) has spent a very large portion of his life to become an almost obsessive devotee of all things Internet copyright and plagiarism related. If you've got a serious business idea, hire him as a consultant. There are very few people on this planet that I will take completely at their word despite never having met nor spoken to them (although he did mention me in one of his podcasts). Jonathan is one of those people. So check his site out, and if he ever puts the donation button back up on his site, give him some coin. Dude's earned it.
    noelog37 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well boss it took a lot of maintenance for it.

Remove Ads