Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Notepad or Dreamweaver?

Member #

Notepad or Dreamweaver?

Hi guys,
    I am very new to web designing. In fact, I am taking classes for web designing. So far, I have learn the basic of web designing, which is html and css.
    I have a question that is bugging me ever since i started to learn about web design. So if you guys do not mind, please explain this to me.
    My question is: Do you guys prefer to use notepad or Dreamweaver to code your webpage? And please explain why...! (I am asking this because some one tells me that professional web makers use notepad but not dreamweaver)
    Thank you in advance guys.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Yeah most of the talented older or more experienced members here use notepad and frown upon dreamweaver for a good reason it tends to add bloated code to your overall coding. I personally use Dreamweaver and have used it for years and I don't notice the bloated code that they speak of but, I am to the point now that I code most of my stuff free hand and use some of the quick references DW has. I am actually leaning towards jumping to Notepad but feel like my coding isn't ready, so I don't know. But ultimately you want to work your way up to coding with Notepad.
    yukane likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Neither ... use Notepad++ ... do your scripting by hand.

Notepad++ Home

Use FileZilla as your FTP file transfer.
    yukane likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    There are a lot of better coding platforms out there than Dreamweaver. I wouldn't say many people use notepad, and it certainly isn't better. Anything with code highlighting and folding is better than notepad. That said, I'm partial to Sublime Text, though the aforementioned Notepad++ is pretty good too. I've also tried Brackets, which I find to be a really good editor, though it's in Beta and still a bit buggy/slow.
    yukane likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I meant Notepad++ but I have a habit of calling it just notepad.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    I meant Notepad++ but I have a habit of calling it just notepad.
    Perhaps, but OP called it just Notepad too.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    What probably happens is, programmers get some free software like Notepad++, FileZilla, and various editors. They use them for a while and get really used to how they work. For me it's like a comfortable pair of worn-out underwear. I don't want to switch or throw it away, and I don't want to learn anything new.

We all have our personal preferences and opinions, so questions like "what should I use?" is not going to get you very far.
    yukane and Fireproofgfx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    We all have our personal preferences and opinions, so questions like "what should I use?" is not going to get you very far.
    I like to pretend it helps curb the use of WYSIWYG...let me have it, dang you!!!
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Dreamweaver is pretty lame.

If you want a good foundation and you want a good future in the web industry, don't use Dreamweaver. In fact, at this point in my career, I can say that Dreamweaver is an inferior method of making websites to the Notepad++ and FTP combo. In fact, I say that Dreameweaver is a hindrance in your development because of all the time you spend learning Dreamweaver and researching Dreamweaver resources, when you could be learning other things. Finally, Dreamweaver websites are dependent on Dreamweaver files (.dwts, templates) so it's difficult for a non-Dreamweaver user to take over the project.

TLDR: Dreamweaver is an inferior method of making websites usually used by newbies or people who aren't fluent in web language.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I'm gonna go make a bucket of popcorn and have it ready for the fight that will ensue when WZ sees what Ron wrote.

In the meantime, I have an option C of my own...the horribly-named but wicked awesome Visual Web Developer Express (I say horribly named because I haven't found the slightest trace of a WYSIWYG editor in it). Syntax highlighting, works with several different languages and frameworks (although not PHP, so if this is an issue for you, this probably isn't what you want), global find/replace, and it just works. You do have to tweak it a bit to get the interface to look and feel the way you want it to e.g. line numbering and word wrapping aren't enabled by default, but it will do the trick for most people.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads