Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By EasyAdminTraining

Thread: Introduction + Plugin Feedback

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Introduction + Plugin Feedback

Hey everyone!

Super new to this forum.

I joined because I recently created a WordPress plugin to help web developers create training for their clients, and wanted to get some feedback on the plugin concept itself.

I know that many web developers would like the plugin, but have no idea how many, and if there are any features that could be included etc, so I open up the floor to discussions!

By the way, here's the website where you can see a walk through etc.

I don't want to seem too promotional, but in a nutshell, here's what the plugin can do:

1. Allows you to create custom training and insert it into clients' wordpress dashboard
    2. Allows you to put an RSS feed on the dashboard home screen
    3. Has import/export features for ease of use
    4. Comes with link masking to hide affiliate links (where necessary)
    5. Create training just like normal WordPress posts, html/css etc supported
    6. Contains various buttons, tables, and contact form shortcodes

My first main question for everyone to consider...How much time do you spend training your clients on how to use their sites post-sale?

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    First of all, I must say ... the voice (or if it's your voice) is exactly like Alfred Hitchcock ... fabulous! You should be doing audio books with a voice like that.

I 'sort of' think the idea is good. I do WP sites for clients and often spend time explaining how to use WP. I just don't know what it's really worth "cost-wise". There are free WP tutorials (found on YouTube, or via Google) already online. My clients learn the basics of WP and they catch-on pretty quickly.

So if I had a complicated WP site, it would be worth having, but most of my WP sites are very basic. WP itself is pretty much "cookie cutter" ... all websites are alike, sort of thing. I'm not a huge fan of WP, but if my clients want a WP site, and it saves them money on site creation, then I provide them with it.

In my opinion, I'm up in the air on this one. There is a place for it, but you'll need to find the right demographics.

If I was able to try it for free and throw a newly created WP site at a newbie, I would certainly know if it was effective. I'm not asking for a free copy, but you might consider allowing a select number of developers to give you their honest opinions. There is also a new WP "expert" on this forum, you can PM them.

See this thread:
    Introduction

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Alfred Hitchcock, that's a new one

I think you are right in that it could be quite niche, finding the right demographic etc will be important.

As well as providing training, there's also the added ability to increase the brand and get additional up-sells. For example if you offered article writing, seo services, or other services, this would be a good place to advertise it.

There's also a cause for including your own custom training, which might be specific to the needs of the clients, such as a certain marketing strategy for them to follow.

Probably though, local seo/site creators with an interest in internet marketing that would benefit the most from it, so would be good to hear from any of them out there!

Thanks for your feedback though, nice constructive criticism is always welcome.

P.S If you would like a review copy we can sort that out for you, as it would be good to have a "tried it and tested it" opinion. I guess you can PM me about that?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Wow...we normally don't allow links for promotional purposes, but in this case since Max has made an exception I'm going to do something I very rarely do and follow his lead, since I think you actually want legitimate feedback on it.

Here's my thought on this...I'm disturbed by how intelligent your idea seems on the surface. Now, the reason I say that is because I'm one of the biggest critics of WP, and certainly WDF's biggest WP critic. But you've done something with it that very few people have the intelligence, the skill and the desire to do (I have the first and could acquire the missing parts of my PHP ability to do the second, but strongly lack the third when it comes to WP)...you've created a service that caters to a target market full of sheep (i.e. WP "developers") who in turn can sell it to an even bigger target market full of sheep on your behalf. With no sarcasm whatsoever, I would say your idea is absolutely brilliant because of it. "Look, you don't want to train your clients on how easy it is, even though you and I know it's easy, so I'll make it even easier for you and you can go about your day without explaining all sorts of miniscule and trivial features to your clients."

To answer your question, "it depends". Now, keep in mind, I'm not a WP developer. What I build is custom and caters to some very specific niches and clients. I would pretty much take WP and leave it in a burning smoking crater to do what I do. Some sites, I just set up, send the admin and let the client figure it out, and that's worked most of the time; I do this intentionally because it tests me as a developer in the sense that I have to build something intuitive and easy to use to make that happen. Some sites, I spend maybe half an hour. Some sites, I spend a few hours. Some sites, I do it every time I build a feature. There's no set or straight answer to that question for me.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    The one thing I like about WordPress sites is that my clients find a theme that is sort of close to what they like. They let me know what needs to change, and provide me with some graphics. The install, configure, setup, customize, and release to client is very fast. Like "TheGame" says, some of the sites can be done after supper and before I go to sleep. I can let them work on content, and let them list tweaks and changes they desire. The punch-list gets dealt with quickly and I'm on to my next site.

That's pretty much the only thing I like about WP. The actual sites are usually rather boring, but a website is really about content, right?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah you are right there guys, but I definitely like TheGame's idea about how WP developers could use the plugin to provide training to their clients, without letting their clients know how easy WP is, in other words: "Hey, I've made this awesome training for you because WP is kinda complicated, and I want to give you the best site possible. Btw..I also have some other awesome services..."

Thanks for the compliment about our intelligence too. Sometimes I have an idea and fall in love with it, then people tell me it's stupid. I like this forum now

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    you've created a service that caters to a target market full of sheep (i.e. WP "developers") who in turn can sell it to an even bigger target market full of sheep on your behalf. With no sarcasm whatsoever, I would say your idea is absolutely brilliant because of it. "Look, you don't want to train your clients on how easy it is, even though you and I know it's easy, so I'll make it even easier for you and you can go about your day without explaining all sorts of miniscule and trivial features to your clients."
    I don't suppose you know where all those sheep hang out do you?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    They won't let me play with them. So no.
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I guess they got tired of losing?

Thanks for all the help/feedback anyway!
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    HAHAHAHAH they may very well have.

That made my day, dude. Thanks for that.

Remove Ads