Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Best Hosting For Video Sharing Site

I am currently trying to price different hosting sites for my video sharing project (which I am still looking for help to complete) and I ran across a few but I am trying to figure out what would be some top choice that would work well with a video sharing site like YouTube?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Going to go with they probably own or lease actual, physical servers, and lots of them.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Video sharing = large amounts of CPU / hard drive utilization / bandwidth. Possibly RAM too, although I'm by no means an expert on this subject.

Whatever your idea is, if you're going to do it properly it's going to cost you and it's going to cost you big. If you're looking at $5-$10 a month shared hosting plans, slide the decimal point over at least one place to the right and probably 2-3. And that's to start....the hosting expense is only going to grow from there.

If you're going to make something "like YouTube", don't bother unless you have something original to offer. If you're just letting any idiot dump videos up there for any reason, the market is saturated, the barrier to entry is expensive, and you're going to have to fight all the legal battles (e.g. DMCA) that YouTube fights on a daily basis. If you've got something else in mind that is original, you probably should still think long and hard.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Well the videos will be more specific. The videos will be for a certain market. I have yet to find a site that does what I plan to do. I just need something I may be able to start on and maybe move up as I grow. I know scalability may be in an issue if my growth is too fast but I don't want to pay a lot of money just in case growth is slow. So I'm wondering if there is something out there I can use to start with.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    In that case, welcome to your first difficult business decision. If you want to use video, it's going to cost you. That's the nature of video sites. You're almost certainly not going to be able to hedge your bet by going cheaply.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads