Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Smile Full-Width webpage Help!

Hi all,

I'm a graphic design student in need of web coding assistance! I'm in my final year of study and will be looking to have a personal portfolio site developed in the coming months.

Essentially what I want to be able to do is wireframe my design in Photoshop, by following a grid system. Previously I have used the 960 grid system and downloaded a 960 grid PSD file that allowed me to design the layout, which made it easier to code.

Now for my portfolio site I want my site to extend the whole width of the page; see Heydays for a perfect example of what i'm after. Notice that there isn't a strip of white on either side of the browser page. This is also responsive.

I essentially want to know how I would go about doing this - having a site that is responsive (and has no white strips on the side) is there a framework that everyone uses? If so, does a PSD file or similar exist that allows me to design to a structure, so that I can send my designs to a developer for them to code my design (which would be based on a framework that allows me to span everything all the way to the edges of the page.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Thanks in advance,
    Luke.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    forget the PSD file... most are not going to use a "fluid" layout model... most if not all will be a specific fixed width...

as for the listed site... they are using HTML5 and CSS3... with all the appropriate resets for different browsers to handle backward compatibility as well as e mobile... suspect they have a team and or resources for this...

but it's actually quite simple... find a sample HTML5 CSS 3 responsive template... there are tons to be found... understand the workings of it... and use it as a basis to build a basic framework ....

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Yup. Ditch the PSD. You're going to have to design in the browser. Use percentage-based widths and positioning. Use em or rem units for static sizing.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads