Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

How to design new website for forums....same like this website

I would like to develop my own website for forums for engineering discussions.
    I am all new and need suggestion that will let me help design a "forum website".
    Please suggest softwares, books where I can learn and develop a website for self.
    Please.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Unless you have some solid previous programming experience, you won't be making a forum like this any time soon.

There is so much scripting involved, and so many things that go wrong. That's why they have sites like this that people can buy. There are also free forum scripts you can use. Google is the best place to find tutorials on everything you'll need ... and you'll need a lot.

I'm not trying to scare you away from making your own forum.

Here's something to do for your first assignment ...

Start by creating a script that allows people to register and log-in. Just that alone and nothing else. Simple ... log-in form, register form, admin section, user profile section. And it has to be secure so nobody can hack it, and you have to allow someone to change their profile/password, and you have to let them retrieve a forgotten password. You also have to make it so an admin person can log-in and oversee ALL users and modify their profiles.

When you get the registration part done, let us know.
    Show us some of the scripts you made and let us try it out on your website.
    I want to make sure I can register, log-in, and edit my profile.

Member #
    Thanks "mlseim".

I have experience in Visual basic, C .
    Is there any books or hard copies available in the market to study and prepare the scripts. If so, please advice accordingly.
    What kind of programming is required for this web designing?.
    How to do this -
    When you get the registration part done, let us know.
    Show us some of the scripts you made and let us try it out on your website.
    I want to make sure I can register, log-in, and edit my profile.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    There are books on PHP and MySQLi. Most get out-dated before they are printed and distributed for sale.

Google is your best option. Many tutorials on PHP, MySQLi, JQuery, AJAX, HTML5, CSS, and everything else you'll need to learn.

Member #
    "Google is your best option. Many tutorials on PHP, MySQLi, JQuery, AJAX, HTML5, CSS, and everything else you'll need to learn."

Is it one of the above language is enough or all is required to be learnt to develop a login, id , pw etc

and, how can i initiate, do i have to write this scripts on a Photoshop software or the similar one.

Please guide me.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    You need to subscribe to a webhost and get your own website account to use. With that, you'll have all of the online storage, MySQLi databases and everything you need to contain and operate your scripts. Getting a shared webhost account is the easy part, all you need is a credit card.

Then, you'll have to learn how to transfer files back and forth, using FileZilla (because it's free and it's nice). Then you'll have to actually start scripting it all from scratch. That's where you'll need to learn to not only make the web pages (HTML,CSS), but the PHP scripting involved in all of the programming of user registrations, logins, admin sections, and the actual website itself.

That's what I was saying in Post #2. If you can get everything I said above (the website online with a webhost), and you can get a "registration and login script" created and operating successfully, you'll be able to finish the rest of the forum. Just the "registration and login" part will give you enough PHP lessons to do everything else you need to do.

That assignment will require a combination of these things:
    PHP, MySQLi, JQuery, AJAX, HTML5 (or HTML/XHTML), CSS

Everything is scripted by hand, using Notepad or preferably Notepad++.
    Photoshop is for graphics. You won't need much graphics to create a member registration login script.

So, you should put your "forum" idea aside and just work on a website that does a "member registration and login". That's it. If you can do that and prove to us it is working (the user side and the admin side) ... give us a link to it and let us test it out, we'll guide you to the next part of your forum website.

I'm not trying to be a "smart-a$$" about this either. What I'm asking you to create is actually fairly basic web development. You can learn how to create a member registration and login script by using Google. Other than the webhosting account, it won't cost a penny to complete the task.

I'm daring you, and challenging you, to do this. If you want to create your own forum from scratch, this will be the only way for you to accomplish this ... one step at a time.

====

An alternative plan if you change your mind about creating your "own/custom" forum.

1) Get a webhost account using a credit card
    2) Install a free forum script. Most webhosts have a thing where you can click a button on your webhost control panel and install a script for free (automatically). Free forum scripts like phpBB, SimpleMachines, Vanilla2, etc.
    You can have your own forum running in about 30 minutes.

But ... the forum software is not your own creation, and you'll still want to customize it.

Decide what you want to do. Create your own forum from scratch, or install a pre-canned (boring and crappy) forum like phpBB. I will add that Vanilla2 forum is pretty nice. It's basic, simple and plain, but functions rather well.

Here's an example of a Vanilla2 forum ... and it's a technical forum for a new WiFi controller device:
    http://forums.electricimp.com/
    Last edited by mlseim; Dec 31st, 2013 at 10:07 AM.

Member #
    I think the best general advice if you want to create a website which has a forum as a part of it is to have your normal website installed in the domain root, so you can have www.yourdomain.com/page1.html, page2.html etc. and then install the forums in a sub directory, so you would have www.yourdomain.com/forums/ and all of the forum discussions etc. would be kept separate from the rest of the site.

It's quite easy to set a website up this way and most people are familiar with this structure to so it won't be hard to understand the site's layout etc.

Remove Ads