Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question What functionality should this IT website have?

It will provide insurance / service / support to desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, cloud backup & storage, etc and service all types of clients (including government GSA). The website will be database driven with excellent analytics and security and will have information about international partnerships and retail walk in repair stores in various parts of the US for smartphones, tablets, and laptops. What functionality / features should this IT website have?
    Last edited by jeffs; Dec 19th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I don't get it. Are you asking a question, spamming the board, or what's your deal?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Asking a question

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Okay...but you seem to be answering the question. The functionality of the website is defined in the first two sentences. It's an IT website serving a rather broad base.

I don't really understand what it is you're trying to ask, and I know I won't be the only one.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Okay...but you seem to be answering the question. The functionality of the website is defined in the first two sentences. It's an IT website serving a rather broad base.

I don't really understand what it is you're trying to ask, and I know I won't be the only one.
    What I am stating in my post are the requirements. Based on the requirements I am asking what is recommended for functionality?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Okay, dude, I'm going to tell you something you're not going to want to hear.

Obviously you've gotten these requirements from somewhere, and I'm guessing either a paying client or your boss (leaning toward the former, since it reeks of corporate IT BS). You should run screaming from this project for three reasons:

1) You had to come on here and several other places to ask what functionality should be included in the site. Like I said, the functionality is largely defined by the requirements. You really should be able to put this together largely on your own. If you mean functionality such as "Google Maps showing the various US repair stores" and "search for a repair store by zip code and / or city / state", then that's the sort of thing you shouldn't have to come onto forums to ask, especially for a paying job. You not only don't understand what it is that the customer wants, but you run the risk of someone else finding out about this job, understanding it better, and taking it out from under you.

2) It's an IT site. Either you're going to be dealing with tech-picky IT types who are largely tech-picky because they're compartmentalized in their thinking and refuse to adapt to anything else or a bunch of IT wannabes who really don't understand what it is that they want.

3) "Unlimited cloud storage / backup". This is where I lean toward "IT wannabes". Unlimited cloud storage / backup implies unlimited storage space, which doesn't exist. All storage devices have a finite amount of storage space, and there are a finite number of working storage devices in the world. Even if your client somehow acquired every storage device in the world for this project, that would still result in a finite amount of storage space. To make that a project requirement suggests that the person who created that requirement really doesn't have 101-level knowledge of the project or the industry. That puts you at a disadvantage.

Remove Ads