Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Starting from scratch

Member #

Starting from scratch

Hi All

Can someone please break me down the best route to take for a website.

I wish to get my company online and have seen 1and1 and wix.com but are these the best options?

I did not want to have to pay someone as i am designing new products all the time and would like to be able to add them as i wish.

What are the procedures for the web name? Do the email addresses come with it or are these extra?

I have used Frontpage a few years ago and this worked quite well as i believe from memory i uploaded it using a FTP to a hosting site? Would this be more beneficial?

Is there any easy to use software i could purchase/download that would enable me to do this?

Many thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    You have two routes to take for actual website location.

1) You use an online webhost service that hosts your site and you do your editing there online. You are limited to what they have in regards to templates and features, but you don't use FTP, or any type of webpage editor on your PC. You do it using their GUI (graphic user interface). Weebly is an example of that.

2) You subscribe to a webhost (shared webhost), like 1&1 or a cheaper one like cleverdot.com
    You also can subscribe to a domain name with the same webhost, or with any domain registrar. The domain registration is separate from a webhost subscription. Using a shared webhost, they give you the disk space and a control panel ... everything else is up to you. You have to create your website and upload it yourself.

What kind of computer do you have at home? A Windows PC, or a Mac?

Do you have a domain name in your head? Or a list of the names you are thinking about?
    If you have a business name already, perhaps you already have a domain name registered somewhere?

Member #
    Thank you for your reply.

I am using a MAC but also have a windows based pc also which i prefer but the MAC is faster.

I now understand... i think.

cleverdot do a 25gb hosting package with domain name for 39.95. This i assume will get me started.

What is the easiest package available (or free?) for designing the website? I think this is probably the best way for me to go as the 1and1 seem quite expensive in comparison.

I have searched a couple of domain names and they appear available, just need to sit down and finalise what is the best.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    You have two routes to take for actual website location.

1) You use an online webhost service that hosts your site and you do your editing there online. You are limited to what they have in regards to templates and features, but you don't use FTP, or any type of webpage editor on your PC. You do it using their GUI (graphic user interface). Weebly is an example of that.

2) You subscribe to a webhost (shared webhost), like 1&1 or a cheaper one like cleverdot.com
    You also can subscribe to a domain name with the same webhost, or with any domain registrar. The domain registration is separate from a webhost subscription. Using a shared webhost, they give you the disk space and a control panel ... everything else is up to you. You have to create your website and upload it yourself.

What kind of computer do you have at home? A Windows PC, or a Mac?

Do you have a domain name in your head? Or a list of the names you are thinking about?
    If you have a business name already, perhaps you already have a domain name registered somewhere?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Hi Richard,

First and foremost, I'm glad that you asked about the hosting / domain package. Don't order it. I don't know who Cleverdot is, but you never, ever want to order hosting and domain registration from the same company no matter how convenient it may seem. Good hosts don't make good registrars and good registrars don't make good hosts.

On top of that, a lot of hostrars (hosts / domain registrars) will often take control of the domain name and "register it on your behalf". That means that when you want to cancel with them and move your site to a different host, they control the domain and can make it difficult for you to get your domain transferred. So make sure your host and domain are separate at any and all costs.

As far as easy-to-use software, that depends on what it is that you want. I wouldn't go using FrontPage to build what you want since 1) it's obsolete and 2) it generated huge amounts of code bloat, as do WYSIWYG editors in general. But since you want easy and you don't want to have to pay someone to edit it, you may want to look into third-party carts such as osCommerce or, if you want a hosted cart Shopify or Volusion (allegedly both are easy to work with...haven't tried either, can't speak to them).

Whatever you decide, you'll need to treat this decision as a business decision. eCommerce isn't easy, nor is it supposed to be. You're opening up a store. Whether or not you have bricks and mortar is immaterial. You need to think things through and do your research / homework. You also need to avoid "operating on the cheap" for the sheer sake of being cheap. A lot of online businesses fail simply because the owners try to do everything for under a nickel and that hinders them greatly.
    loobieburt likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you for your pointers.

I wish to show my products on the web site but not necessarily sell them as what i design every purposes is different so it will be merely for viewing what is available.

I only mentioned Frontpage to show how long ago it was i used it. It was very straight forward and if there was any alternative software available. Someone mentioned wordpress so i was after another persons opinion or alternative?

Richard

Member #
    Your canadian postal code? what did you design this using? This is like the basis of what i am hoping to achieve.

Main landing page and then a number of headings and links to additional pages showing each item.

RIchard

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I still need to clean that one up somewhat, but I built it from scratch using my own framework. You won't find anything to build something like that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    I don't have any "ins" with cleverdot.com. But I have used them on several websites and have done domain transfers, pointing, account moving, and everything else without any issues. That's the only reason I mentioned them.

I know someone with a Mac that downloaded Sandvox and created a website using his Mac. I don't have a Mac and have never used Sandvox before. I wish I could remember the website he made. Here's Sandvox: Sandvox: Website creation for Mac, that?s as easy to use as the Mac
    The single user software is $80

Here is their portfolio of sites people have made:
    Sandvox Sites: The Latest Submissions to the Sandvox site Gallery

Again, I'm not a Mac owner and have to idea of what the software is like, but it's another option for you.

Member #
    Thank you exactly the answer i was looking for. Does software like Sandvox have FTP? (is it the FTP i need to upload my designed website to the hosting company?) or do you normally have another bit of software to do that?

Thanks again i will look at Sandvox.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I don't have any "ins" with cleverdot.com. But I have used them on several websites and have done domain transfers, pointing, account moving, and everything else without any issues. That's the only reason I mentioned them.

I know someone with a Mac that downloaded Sandvox and created a website using his Mac. I don't have a Mac and have never used Sandvox before. I wish I could remember the website he made. Here's Sandvox: Sandvox: Website creation for Mac, that?s as easy to use as the Mac
    The single user software is $80

Here is their portfolio of sites people have made:
    Sandvox Sites: The Latest Submissions to the Sandvox site Gallery

Again, I'm not a Mac owner and have to idea of what the software is like, but it's another option for you.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I am not familiar with sandvox but yes FTP is what you use to upload your files to your server. You can download Filezilla for free which works great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads