Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Cib
    Member #

Need help getting started on organic farm website

We have a family farm I'm taking over and wanted to create a website to help promote the farm, and sell some items as well.

Right now we don't have much that would be sold through the website it would be added later. I'm just not sure how to handle that portion of it, I don't like adding "soon to be added" or something similar to that. I've read about shopping carts and payment methods, I'm likely going with paypal due to our customer base and feel comfortable with that portion of the site.

I'm trying to find a good place to get started on website layouts and just haven't had good success thus far. I've looked at other organic sites and most are dated. Through my job I have access to the templates in dream weaver, they are nice but still plain. I was curious if someone could point out some more modern layouts that won't be dated in a year.

If anyone could help point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Cib; Dec 19th, 2013 at 08:10 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    It's funny you ask because I was looking for ideas earlier this evening for my next client who owns a feed store and wants a newer designed website, and I went looking for ideas of what others have currently which like you said are pretty much old and out dated. Then I looked for some fresh ideas that I thought might looks nice. I would recommend going to Google images and looking up Farm Web Design or Agriculture Web Design here are some more ideas I just came across as well.

Cib
    Member #
    Thanks. yeah it is hard finding a good layout. I found several from the links you provided, I'm going to go over some of those and pic one out. I'll come back with more questions later. We are going to have a lot of products for sale and I just can't decide on the best, most efficient, way of listing them all.

I'm also going to build a website later, I make knives and some basic leather work as a hobby. It has gotten to the point I need to get a website and start organizing things more as I'm getting a lot of orders as of late. I'd love to turn them both into my full time job, tired of working behind a desk.

Cib
    Member #
    Philo Apple Farm

This is a basic layout I like. Anyone care to give an opinion on this? Is this a bad layout going into the future for an organic farm?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    From a visual point of view, I wouldn't say so although that's highly subjective.

From a technical (code) point of view, yes. They use a lot of tables and Dreamweaver-specific code that bloats the site and makes it a slower load. That's something you'll want to avoid.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads