Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

What are your learning goals for the new year?

Hey guys,

I don't make goals at the New Year's, but I figured this would be a great way for everyone to just share a bit about what they're interested in learning or what skills they plan to develop.

For me, it's our old friend, javascript.

I need to enhance my front end development skills by learning how to do cool stuff with javascript, AJAX, and understanding the DOM. I need to also learn event oriented javascript because I do want to feel comfortable with a javascript-heavy framework like Sencha Touch. I tried it last month and just hated how dumb I felt trying to use it.

I also feel like being adept at javascript will also make any future transitions into programming much easier.

How about you guys?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Don't have any. That isn't to say I don't have goals, but I don't have "learning" goals as, at this stage of my development career, learning isn't the goal but a step on the way to a bigger goal.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I am newbie to this designing world and my goal is quite clear to me. I will work hard for improving my designing skills. I am planning to learn PHP language in new year first I will finish with Basic PHP and then I march towards the advance of it. Hopefully I'll come out as a better web designer next year after that.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I'd like to get a solid handle on PHP. Backend languages, and scripting languages in general have always been tough for me. I do finally have a fairly good grasp of JS, which is making PHP easier to learn, but I want to get comfortable with it.

To that end, I've been working on a comment system for my site's upcoming redesign. And yes, I'm reinventing the wheel, but shoving myself face first into a project is the only way I've been able to learn things like this. I haven't committed it in a while, but the comment system is on Github here: http://github.com/ronaldroe/SimplePHPCommentSystem.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    I'd like to get a solid handle on PHP. Backend languages, and scripting languages in general have always been tough for me. I do finally have a fairly good grasp of JS, which is making PHP easier to learn, but I want to get comfortable with it.

To that end, I've been working on a comment system for my site's upcoming redesign. And yes, I'm reinventing the wheel, but shoving myself face first into a project is the only way I've been able to learn things like this. I haven't committed it in a while, but the comment system is on Github here: http://github.com/ronaldroe/SimplePHPCommentSystem.
    RR,

Totally agree that doing things from scratch is a great way to learn languages. It's how I learned Wordpress development and I plan to do the same with javascript.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    By the way, for anyone else interested in learning javascript or PHP, I'd like to recommend codeacademy. Good incremental learning process using practical exercises to teach rather than a more traditional (and worthless IMO) academic approach of reading a textbook and then quizzing you.

I'm almost finished with the javascript program. I think people can knock it out in 2 days if they have a basic understanding of programming logic.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista View Post
    By the way, for anyone else interested in learning javascript or PHP, I'd like to recommend codeacademy. Good incremental learning process using practical exercises to teach rather than a more traditional (and worthless IMO) academic approach of reading a textbook and then quizzing you.

I'm almost finished with the javascript program. I think people can knock it out in 2 days if they have a basic understanding of programming logic.
    That's how I finally cracked through JS. I recommend it. I would caution, however that there isn't a whole lot in the way of application in codecademy's approach. Sure, you'll come out knowing how to write a loop, but they don't really explain how to use that to solve problems.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    That's how I finally cracked through JS. I recommend it. I would caution, however that there isn't a whole lot in the way of application in codecademy's approach. Sure, you'll come out knowing how to write a loop, but they don't really explain how to use that to solve problems.
    So true.

For me, I feel I can solve the problems myself, but I just need to know what functions are at my disposal with JS. Or I need to be familiar with the terminology so I can mod someone's plugin. Despite working with websites for 1.5 years, I didn't know anything about JS aside from "var" means to declare a variable.

Funny thing is that the entire lesson doesn't teach you anything about using it in front end web development, but I suppose that's what the jQuery lesson is for.

And I'm glad to hear that you found them useful too!

Member #
    " Learning and share knowledge to other "

Remove Ads