Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Building a CCS for PHPBB3?

I am working on a niche gaming community, similar to Aelyria, with enough subtle nods and not-so-subtle nods to older, pen and paper role playing games, to -probably- make just about anyone over 30 have a nostalgic flashback, no matter what game or genera they idled away with as a kid. I plan for the site to make use of a forum (probably PHPBB3 and I am the most familiar with it), wither a wiki of some kind or a "psudo-wiki" done with html and css for the sake of keeping style and theme consistent - not to mention admitting to some laziness on my part :tickle: - a simple blog setup for news and community announcements, and tie it all together through an RSS feed, that I hope to have enabled in such a way that users may follow individual topics via RSS.

All that aside, I am struggling with how to go about one feature that would be -to the best of my knowledge- both unique to this genera of sites, as well as nostalgic to a more experienced user. The first part, I've seen done, and shouldn't be difficult - A primary forum account with multiple child accounts, able to be selected and switched to, with relative ease. There is a PHPBB mod for it that no longer works correctly, and I can toy with it in my virtual sandbox (localhost with xampp) until I have it working.
    The second part, however, will really be my first big leap into PHP, and since I don't have any time constraints, can pluck at this until it's just right.

August 31st, 1996. Not too far in the past, only about seventeen years ago, but quite a long time when it comes to the explosion that became of the PC and Console gaming industry. A small company -long before they became the household behemoth of sandbox rpg games) released the second game in what is now a well known series. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. I mention this, because it was my first experience with sandbox rpgs, and the character creation system (CCS) always brought about fond memories. It was fairly standard for these games. Name, Race, Class ... and then Background caught me. I was asked a series of questions that, upon completion, would affect my character in some way. I've always loved this idea.
    So, here I am, working out the framework of a CCS that, as a user answers some questions about their character, I would like to pull randomly from a pool of 250 - 300 story elements (per question - being safe and making the pool large in anticipation of a large community. Better to be prepared, than caught off guard). These randomly chosen elements will build the framework of a characters background and intimately tie them into the world.

Some elements will affect others, either expanding or shrinking the number of story elements to be pulled randomly, but the end goal is to auto-generate, based on the user's choices, a backstory for their character, tracking their first 16-25 years in the world. My question is ... what is the best way to go about this, while working with PHPBB3? What are my options?

Remove Ads