Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 3 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: What's a reasonable estimate for a simple webpage with HTML 5 elements?

Member #

What's a reasonable estimate for a simple webpage with HTML 5 elements?

Heya everyone. I've been searching around for a web developer to help me out with this project I'm working on, and someone quoted me a price of $1700. This seemed a bit high, so I'm wondering if I could get some other people's opinions on the matter.

Basically, the webpage is going to have seven illustrations (which I had done already), and will tell a story as you scroll through. There will be some simple little animated elements added to each panel, like twinkling stars, some glowing fluid moving through some tubes, a hovering object, etc. The graphics have all been done by an illustrator and an animator. It just needs some coding to make it dynamic. I don't imagine these sorts of things to be very difficult to code with HTML 5.

Apart from that, I want to have a navigation bar similar to what's on this site:
    Apple - iPhone 5c

It should pop up when you scroll down to the second illustration, just like it does here. I also want to have smooth scrolling whenever you click on a side button, locking the browser into place for each respective image.

The person doesn't need to do anything but the coding, and some design for the navigation bar and side buttons. Is $1700 really reasonable?

What would a reasonable price be for just the seven animated elements if I decide not to hire anyone for the scrolling features and navigation bar?
    Last edited by Carl Sagan; Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Depends on who's doing it, how good the person is, and how busy the person is.

I read what you said and looked at the Apple page you posted, and to be blunt, it sounds a lot more complex than you're trying to make it sound. The individual animations don't sound all that complicated, but as a collective can make for a complex job when things such as testing, tweaking, and cross-browser checking are factored in. You also need to consider that very few people even know HTML5 animations exist, assuming that what you're saying is in fact doable using them, and that even fewer would have actually utilized them. This is where basic supply and demand economics kick in, and I'm going to use this forum as an example. There are just over 38,000 members of this forum, and of those 38,000 members, I'd suggest you'd be lucky to find three that could do what you're describing and one that's done anything even remotely similar. That means that you have a smaller developer base to choose from and therefore makes what you're doing a more expensive proposition, assuming that what you're saying is possible using straight HTML5 (it may or may not be; I'm not an animation expert so I don't know...so I'm in the 37,997 that wouldn't be able to do what you wanted).

The other issue with your question is that it's based on the presupposition that "what you say is what it is", and that you haven't left anything out. Maybe the glowing liquid doesn't go through a straight tube but a tube with a series of curves in it. Maybe the hover requires some advanced animation. Maybe the other animations that you haven't mentioned have a degree of complexity to them that make the job more expensive. There's not enough to go on.

Therefore, there isn't a "reasonable price" for what you're asking for as such. You can't say "you should be paying $X for that feature" or "you should be paying $Y for that animation." If you want to pay less, I suggest that the logical way to go about it is to temper your expectations.
    Carl Sagan likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    To be honest, I think $1700 may be a little on the inexpensive side, assuming you want it done properly. Animations are "difficult" for the most part, but do require a good deal of work. And that's not even considering the fact that you have to consider progressive enhancement for browsers that don't support it.

Here's the deal: however easy an element seems to create, it isn't. For Apple's navigation to work cross-browser takes 21 lines of HTML, almost 350 lines of CSS, and several lines of JS, not to mention the backend code that goes into the search function. And that's just the little navigation bar you want added. Imagine what goes into the animations you're wanting.

You're looking at this website like it's a commodity. It's an investment in your company, and generally one well worth the cost.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads