Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Are there any templates out there for sale that are actually GOOD?

Member #

Are there any templates out there for sale that are actually GOOD?

Once upon a time long long ago, 1998-2002, I was very into web design and created some really good sites that are still at the top of the charts in SE's. However after a 10+ year hiatus I am now trying to 'quickly' build a few new sites. Back then it was all straight HTML, and CSS was just coming onto the scene. I dont think reusing my old templates I created back then are the best way to go today. I dont have the hours I did in the past to educate myself on all the latest workings of web design, so I am searching the web for templates that are good, but most of what I see is either some ploy to get you to buy hosting from some company or the 'free' templates all seem to have a catch. I am not opposed to buying something that is good, but hopefully spending less than 500. What I am hoping to find is a good template that offers good transitions from device to device, something that is clean and SIMPLE. I am a believer in less flashy sites. And I would like something where I will buy the rights to use the code, and host it on godaddys servers. Hopefully something that has clean enough code to work with SE's and SEO. And most important, something quick and easy to deploy! Thanks for any direction you can provide!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    For $500, I'll make you a template and give you full rights to it.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You don't want to go down the template road for a few reasons:

1) They're generally horribly coded. Among other things, they often use the train wreck known as the Eric Meyer CSS Reset.
    2) You'll spend more time customizing it than you will creating something from scratch.
    3) Many of them don't take different devices into account (this is known as responsive design).

If your sites "rank highly" and can make money, then the time you spend won't be a time expense, but rather a time investment. You need to define "top of the charts" by the way...do you actually see referral traffic or do you just see the sites you build in the first position or whatever when you do a search? The former matters, the latter is meaningless.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for the info. That's what I am looking for. I will watch for the Eric Meyer CSS. Although admittedly I am not familiar with the term reset? Any suggestions on a good cleanly coded commerce site that's responsive? I would like to look at some code, but so much of what is out there is just miles of garbage code that I cant imagine gets indexed very well by bots. Maybe I am over thinking it and things might not have changed as much as I might think, and there are still web designers who use valid code...

As far as my SE rankings, and I dont want to take this thread to far off on a tangent, I do have one site that is top ranked, and has been for 15 years. I say that meaning if the term is searched, my site is listed. There are also some sites that do link to it as well, including DMOZ, but that may not mean anything anymore? I guess I am not sure why you say it is meaningless to be top ranked by a search term, and it only matters if you have referrals? It is for that reason that I was in business and making money for almost 15 years solely because of that ranking. Are you referring to making money from adclicks needing referrals? I did some of those sites as well, and even though I haven't touched them in years I still get dribs and drabs of income from them. But I have not looked at just what is linking to them in many many years.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A reset is basically a stylesheet that "resets" various elements to default margins and padding to compensate for discrepancies among the various browsers.

This is one version.

CSS Tools: Reset CSS

Another version exists, although I don't think Meyer created it, that is similar to the one above. The difference is that all elements are set to 0 margins and padding.

The reason this reset is flawed is that ordered lists are set to 0 margins and padding and given no list style, and therefore the numbers that would make up an ordered list would completely disappear. This is a 101-level flaw, but for some reason people swear by this thing. The concept makes sense, but the execution is lacking.

The reason I'm bringing up your rankings is it directly relates to the template issue. If you're receiving referrals from search engines for various keywords and phrases, then you're getting traffic and any template changes you make should be done with caution. If you just do a search and see "I rank #1 for emollient blue destruction cream of a monkey's armpit", that probably isn't going to send you any traffic and in that case you've got nothing to lose.

DMOZ is useless as well. The project has largely been abandoned, I don't know of any active editors (there used to be a guy on various forums nicknamed I believe cjb that would constantly defend the project but I haven't seen him in years), and it never did send any traffic whenever anyone was either lucky or corrupt enough to get a listing in there. Google in particular targeted directories around 2009 and probably lumped Dumbass in with the rest, because it's basically a dead idea.

If you haven't coded in 10-12 years, what you'll need to realize is that it's changed quite drastically. Things such as tabular layouts are a thing of the distant past for the most part, and it's more about "using the right elements in conjunction with CSS to get it to look and feel the way you want it to". There is quite a bit of garbage code out there, but there's also quite a bit of valid working code. Google is pretty forgiving of the garbage code, although Bing not so much (not that it matters when you only have about a 5.5% market share between BingHoo!, but still).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    For free templates, I'm a big fan of sites like OSWD.org and OpenDesigns.org. They're typically not flashy. Just simple, clean-coded HTML and CSS templates. As far as licensing goes, they're usually linkware.

If you have a budget, ThemeForest has some nice HTML templates for around $10-$15. These definitely are on the flashy side, and can be pretty complicated to set up. Licenses are typically a one-site type deal.

Remove Ads