Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: advice on learning web design?front-end

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

advice on learning web design?front-end

advice on learning web design?front-end, not being a back-end developer.

ux designer or visual designer is a web designer.

i read the fundamentals of being a web designer
    is that you must learn:

HTML , twitter boostrap
    JAVASCRIPT
    JQUERY
    PHOTOSHOP
    ILUSTRATOR
    PHP?(did you encounter problems not knowing php?)

advice please, thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    HTML, CSS, NOT Bootstrap, JavaScript. That's front end. PHP is backend, really but it pays to at least be familiar with backend languages.

Bootstrap isn't in itself a technology. It's just a framework. It's about as essential to web design as a spoiler is on a grocery-getter. You CAN have it, but it won't make your car go any faster or do anything it didn't do before.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    HTML, CSS, NOT Bootstrap, JavaScript. That's front end. PHP is backend, really but it pays to at least be familiar with backend languages.

Bootstrap isn't in itself a technology. It's just a framework. It's about as essential to web design as a spoiler is on a grocery-getter. You CAN have it, but it won't make your car go any faster or do anything it didn't do before.
    so bootstrap isnt good?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I didn't say that. I don't like it, I think for most things it's just a bloated mess, and the same goes for pretty much any other framework I've looked at. No matter what you're doing, you're going to end up with a bunch of code being loaded that isn't even being used.

What I was saying was it isn't a technology on its own, and unless you have a handle on HTML, CSS and JS, there's no point in bothering with Bootstrap, since you really won't understand it to begin with. And I made the secondary point that you don't need it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I recommend using or at least looking into dreamweaver, its helpful for me in the sense if i don't understand it in the coding side, i can do it in the design side and then go back into the code and learn what i was doing wrong. Its a really good program in my opinion, and being someone like your self just learning and what its a good thing to have and you can use it even once your more experienced if you wish to. Take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm still extremely new to this!

This site is a great place to learn as well, just browsing the forum i have learned little tricks and things that others were having problems with. Just browse here and see what others are doing, may be inspirational to you and the things your doing even if its not directly connected to what you are doing. I have gotten good ideas for things that had nothing to do with the problem posted in the forum. Great thing about coding is its a language, so theres not just one way to do it and everything isn't limited to one use!

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I recommend that you give your website visitors the information they need on the first page. Front-end design is crucial for a successful website.

This is by far the best site design I've seen in a long time:
    ATV, QR X350, walkera, drone, elbil, elsykkel, kamera, oversetter, translatr, translator, dictonary, moped, el-moped, fordelere, styreenhet, el-scooter, scooter, solcelle ryggsekk, el-sykkel, el sykkel, elektrisk sykkel, elbil, rc helikopter, rc prod

Amazing use of white space, easy to navigate, and fantastic graphics.
    The animation at the bottom is professional, and must have been done by special software.

Happy New Year WDF members!!
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 03rd, 2014 at 08:23 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I hit the translate to English button in Chrome, I got a server error, and the tab crashed. Truly a wonder of modern website design.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I recommend that you give your website visitors the information they need on the first page. Front-end design is crucial for a successful website.

ATV, QR X350, walkera, drone, elbil, elsykkel, kamera, oversetter, translatr, translator, dictonary, moped, el-moped, fordelere, styreenhet, el-scooter, scooter, solcelle ryggsekk, el-sykkel, el sykkel, elektrisk sykkel, elbil, rc helikopter, rc prod

The animation at the bottom is professional, and must have been done by special software.

I also thought they did a great job of optimizing the meta tags for search engines. TROLOLOLOL.

To answer the question, you might want to consider taking some time to learn basic HTML + CSS. HTML is the code that controls the building of a website. CSS is the supplementary language that you need to style your HTML pieces. Everything else is not really needed to make a website. You don't need to be an expert with them, but I highly recommend you study them to have a good understanding of web design and it will provide a solid foundation which will help you every step of the way when learning the other elements in the future.

I would recommend this exercise-based learning tool: Web Fundamentals | Codecademy

You'll also need to know how to use Photoshop or be able to otherwise do basic photo editing and web optimizing.

If you don't even have a basic understand of HTML/CSS, then you'll find that clients will have basic questions or they see something odd-looking on the website. If you don't know why it's that way, you'll look extremely amateurish.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post

Screw you, man. THIS is the best. Ling Valentine is the future of modern web designers. Look at that background!

CAR LEASING CHEAP LEASE CARS SALES CAR LEASING CHEAP BUSINESS HIRE DEALS
    mlseim likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I started when I was 12 years old, by reading a bunch of sites that are gone now, like matmice, soup-faerie, but one that is still around is lissaexplains.com Its awesome
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 07th, 2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: fixed the domain name typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads