Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Members only sections

I am building a site for a small car club of about 5-10 members. I had an idea of making a place where members only could access on their site and have some what of a forum or message board. doesn't have to be as advanced as a forum, i assume i could use an xml based guestbook i used on a previous site as the actual board, my question is how could i create a members only section?

I do not know anything about how to make a login, much less how to restrict who can view it.

Once thats created I am still unsure how to create the accounts members would use, figured the easiest way would be to have them send me info and i make the account on the site and then give them access? what would that consist of? If that was too difficult to do i could make a single PW that the whole club could use?

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Sounds like you might just want to use WordPress for your site and use a "members" plugin. The WP comments feature would be the discussion section for any given page or post? Your site isn't a missile launch operation so high security isn't really an issue.

Otherwise, you would be using some PHP scripting to create a login feature, and more PHP scripting for the discussions. The editors they use to enter posts will be harder to do, and for you to allow them to upload photos would add to the complexity. Also, the ability for them to edit their posts. So now, it gets to a point where WordPress would be the easiest option.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Sounds like you might just want to use WordPress for your site and use a "members" plugin. The WP comments feature would be the discussion section for any given page or post? Your site isn't a missile launch operation so high security isn't really an issue.

Otherwise, you would be using some PHP scripting to create a login feature, and more PHP scripting for the discussions. The editors they use to enter posts will be harder to do, and for you to allow them to upload photos would add to the complexity. Also, the ability for them to edit their posts. So now, it gets to a point where WordPress would be the easiest option.
    Ok i will look into that.. I am new to web design, and i assumed wordpress was for people who didnt know how to build a site, so i didnt look much more into it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Wordpress is a content management system that makes it easy to post content and display content. Usually not very unique or creative, but it's fast to get a website going and with experience, you can customize things. Manually creating a site by hand, requires much more programming.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Well i looked into wordpress but i am stuck at downloading it haha, i try and follow what it says to install, i open the install.php file it said to open in my browser but all that does is redownload the same file? Im on Mac, trying to open it in Firefox

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You need some sort of server software with PHP and MySQL to run it from. PHP has to be interpreted. Take a look at MAMP for local server software on a Mac.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    You need to get a real webhost account. Most webhosts have a thing where you can install wordpress automatically with a click of a button.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    You need some sort of server software with PHP and MySQL to run it from. PHP has to be interpreted. Take a look at MAMP for local server software on a Mac.
    I downloaded MAMP already, just didnt know i needed to use it for this..

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    You need to get a real webhost account. Most webhosts have a thing where you can install wordpress automatically with a click of a button.
    With advice from a few people on here last night i paid for a year of hosting thru GD, still havent done much with it ill take a look in the menu a little later

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Did you also get a domain name?

On the GD control panel, look for a thing were they install scripts for you automatically. There will be a lot of them, like Drupal, Joomla, WordPress, Etc.

Pick WordPress and follow the instructions.

Let us know when you get that far, and provide us with a link so we can see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads