Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: "Online Ordering system" what are my options?

Member #

"Online Ordering system" what are my options?

Hi guys

I am soon going to make a few websites for 'restaurant take away' companies. They will require online ordering and payment. Nothing crazy. The design I can handle with ease, and usually i find plugins to do most of the website functionalities but I am struggling alot to find something which can deal with online orders

To see similar functionality to what I have in mind, please see: Himalaya Restaurant - Finest Indian and Nepalese Restaurant in Torquay - and place an order.

The only guys offering such a system charge a monthly fee going via their servers... I DO NOT want this.

I want a plugin that i own so I can install it on each companies site. I dont mind whether its a one off payment plugin, or free. Considering I can get entire webshop systems for free, it shocks me that I cant find anything like this... which is generally a simplified version of a webshop.

I am of course open to having a webshop system which is modified to do what I wish.

To summurize: Does anyone know of a online ordering plugin that I dont need to pay monthly for.

I would ideally like it to be a wordpress plugin, but it can be for anything if need be.

Thanks in advance :-)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The short answer to your question is, "you're probably not going to find one", and once you get past the shock there's actually a pretty good reason for this.

If you're going to use anything other than a quick PayPal Buy Now button for processing the orders (and I wouldn't do this), your customers going to pay a monthly fee. There is absolutely no getting around this, since the fee is charged by the payment processor in exchange for the service of using the gateway and even the "simplest" gateways are complicated and require at least intermediate programming knowledge. All processors charge this fee, and it's on top of the merchant discount rate the bank is going to charge your customers.

You're making a mistake a lot of people make when they first decide to enter the world of e-commerce. You're assuming that everything is going to be easy and free and coded for you and you can download a free open source cart and presto, you're selling products and services. It doesn't work that way, it hasn't ever worked that way, and it isn't ever going to work that way. When your customers want their customers to book orders online, that process is at the very least a significant extension of their business. In many cases, it is their business. They have to pay fees for the POS terminals in their restaurants. They have to pay for the cash registers. An online shop is no different. It is a business, it's not going to be an easy business, and you need to start thinking about it that way.

No one wants to pay for something if they can get it for free and it will do what they want, but that doesn't mean that everything is going to be free, nor should it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    The short answer to your question is, "you're probably not going to find one", and once you get past the shock there's actually a pretty good reason for this.

If you're going to use anything other than a quick PayPal Buy Now button for processing the orders (and I wouldn't do this), your customers going to pay a monthly fee. There is absolutely no getting around this, since the fee is charged by the payment processor in exchange for the service of using the gateway and even the "simplest" gateways are complicated and require at least intermediate programming knowledge. All processors charge this fee, and it's on top of the merchant discount rate the bank is going to charge your customers.

You're making a mistake a lot of people make when they first decide to enter the world of e-commerce. You're assuming that everything is going to be easy and free and coded for you and you can download a free open source cart and presto, you're selling products and services. It doesn't work that way, it hasn't ever worked that way, and it isn't ever going to work that way. When your customers want their customers to book orders online, that process is at the very least a significant extension of their business. In many cases, it is their business. They have to pay fees for the POS terminals in their restaurants. They have to pay for the cash registers. An online shop is no different. It is a business, it's not going to be an easy business, and you need to start thinking about it that way.

No one wants to pay for something if they can get it for free and it will do what they want, but that doesn't mean that everything is going to be free, nor should it.
    I appreciate your thorough reply completely. Please do not take my response as non-appreciative but there are a few points I think you got wrong about me and I'd like to clear it up before anyone else makes the same mistakes

I by no means expect this for free, I am in fact fully prepared to see prices of four figures here. I was merely making a point that if there are full ecommerce systems available for free (opencart, woo commerce etc) then it is so surprising that a simple online ordering system is not available anywhere (whether it be free or not)

I have since found a WP plugin called "wp Pizza" which will cost about $300 once I bought all the addons and currently researching how professional I can make it look but I still think I can get better.

I do understand about the gateways and so on, I have made vast amounts of E-commerce shops in the past and set up payment gateways on all of them.

Hopefully this clears a few things up :-)

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Here's my take on this topic ...

You create one website on one webhost.

The restaurant has a few PC's (desktops, laptops, tablets, etc) that are always powered on and always opened with their browser on their website. An admin person or someone at the restaurant logs-in with their "kiosk" login. Even the kitchen staff can have a kiosk if they need it.

Once that happens, their browser is a kiosk. It is viewing a special page on their website that is JQuery (javascripting), AJAX (mix of javascripting and PHP). It continually polls their database for new orders. Various watchdog timers make sure the site is operational. The timing of the polls might be 60 seconds, or 120 seconds ... depending on how quickly they need to check for new orders. The kiosk is configured so that the PC or tablet never sleeps. It can give visual order cues or audible ring tones for new orders.

The customer uses the same website, but they of course register and log-in as a customer. When they browse and pick items, the items go into their "cart". This is always updating the database. The restaurant can see this also and it shows on their kiosk. Once the customer pays, that is also indicated on the kiosk. If the customer aborts the site, or payment fails, that is also indicated on the kiosk. The restaurant can contact them and amend the problem if they wish.

The restaurant kiosk allows the staff to acknowledge the order, determine a pick-up time, or delivery time. The order is also saved so the customer can use it again some other day or look back on what they previously ordered.

This type of system can be constructed using a website, PHP, MySQLi, JQuery, AJAX. The content management part would most likely be custom, because WordPress is not such a good choice for this type of system.

The only part that creates a problem with this type of system is that many restaurants already have a POS (point of sale) system that is using proprietary software, not connected to the internet. Any orders taken from the website will somehow need to be entered into the POS for the restaurant's official sales recorders, receipts, inventory and invoice.

The cost of creating this website would be determined by the size of the restaurant, the current POS they use, and the amount of activity on their website.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Remove Ads