Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Cib
    Member #

Do I need a webpage?

I'm building a form for work that is just for internal employees. Our current tool is infopath and I hate the toll it is not designed for the way we are using it and takes too long to edit.

Basically we have a form with a series of questions that have yes or no answers in a dropdown box. Based upon the yes or no it auto fills in two comment boxes with a canned response.

I'm wanting to build a we page but the boss doesn't want something else that has to be maintained. Infopath is a mess to work with and takes forever to make changes when the questions or the answers change.

Would you recommend a webpage or is there another tool that would work.

Final not we are outputting this to PDF format for email purposes.

Thanks for any help.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't know if there's a way to output to PDF, but if you've got Word installed on your machines you can create Windows Forms in ASP.net that will do what you want. You style the form as needed, create the drop-down boxes, and go from there. I'd use SQL Server as a backend to store the Q&As and put in some programming logic to deal with how the questions and answers change.

Alternatively, and this is a very strange use for it, Access 2007 and beyond could do the trick. Create the form and then create a button that will print a report to PDF. One of my clients used to have this with their sales database...they'd enter in the info, pick out the services requested, and click a button to print a contract to the printer.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jan 06th, 2014 at 06:42 AM.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Are you able to use PHP on your server/website?

With PHP, you can dynamically create a PDF file (using FPDF).

If your company does not have a website or something internal that you can use for making a simple webpage/PHP scripting, then you'll need to use your own website (outside of the company). That's something they probably won't like you to do.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's one of the reasons I suggested a Windows Form. It doesn't require a server, although at some point a database server might make sense, and you can install it on the various machines in the office.

I built one myself for my timekeeper app. Took me about 8 hours one New Year's Day to build the app and the invoice generator.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Are the results of the form even being stored? If all you're trying to do is generate a message based on boolean input, seems like a static page with some JS would more than suffice.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Yes, you can use PHP to create PDF files. If you do not have a website you can use something like wamp server.

Remove Ads