Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thailand for the next 4 weeks, then Australia, Then back to England
    Member #

Red face Where do I start?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to learn how to create a website from scratch and willing to try and learn everything along the way.

What I need to know is what software will I need to use/learn? I would be looking to build a website than will be able to host multi cams between 10-20 video camera's at once. What would be the best software to use? Where is best to start learning? And where is the best place to acquire the software? Time is not of the essence. I would really appreciate any help I could get.

Sorry if it all sounds vague.

Cheers,

Adam

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I'm thinking that it can't be a website. A website to me means you access them using a browser. Are the video camera's all in one location? And they all need to stream "live" at the same time?

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    If you're trying to set up a site to host multiple camera shows, I don't think you should be doing this yourself. What you're asking is fairly complex. I would suggest looking for a pre-built template for such a site instead. What I mean is, someone out there probably has already made a turn-key solution for making your own cam site.

Member #
    The best way I can explain it is to imagine having 9-12 mini live feeds updating on the homepage of different football matches. Then when you click on one of the mini camera's in moves to a page that shows the whole football match....

Member #
    Where would I find such template? As far as learning for myself goes.... where would I start? Would Joomla/dreamweaver be good to learn?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Dreamweaver isn't really something you learn. It's a tool you use. I'd suggest starting with a simple text editor with syntax highlighting, like Notepad++ or Sublime Text (my personal favorite).

That said, if these are cameras you operate, and they're designed to be used over the internet, they likely have some kind of API you would use, or it may be as simple as embedding the feed. If you're pulling in the feed from someone else, assuming you have permission to do so, you could possibly embed it the same way they do. Either of those being the case, you aren't looking at a horribly difficult site.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Hello
    my suggested order would be:

html/xhtml
    css
    javascript
    server side language such as PHP

once you dive into these you'll get a feel for what directions you want to go in.
    - Firebug is a web developers best friend! - Learn it, Love it, use it!
    - Validate your code! - JQ/JS troubleshooting
    - Using jQuery with Other Libraries - Jslint for Jquery/other JS library users

Member #
    Yes this is quite a complex project. Do you have the cameras already? It would help to know the type as some use the TCP/IP protocol, where are the cheaper sort just use USB. The camera locations ie: are they all at the same location or positioned in separate homes etc. will make a difference.

Then my first thought would be how to put all of them on the same screen, and whilst iFrames are frowned upon, these may be the easiest option if you really want to do it all yourself.

Once this is figured out the rest will be more simple.

Remove Ads