Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

a few problems to solve

Hello all, currently designing a really simple website for my Cafe i'm setting up

The Pudding Pantry } Desserts | Fine Coffee | Light Bites

I'd like to resolve the following problems.

1. really like the rolling back ground however on a mobile phone its all over the place, for example on mine its shrinks so it only covers a quarter of the background. and then when i turn it landscape it flickers and doesn't load the website.

2. I've been told that the website indexes better if you have content on the main page about what you do, so my idea is that i've put an iframe with a simple blogging page on so i can update it like a news page. however it looks awful, I had made it transparent at one point but its not right. what i might do is change the JOBS button to NEWS and just put it in there. What do you recommend in regards to google indexing and as a potential customer do you think I need some intro text on the main page?

3. what's your thoughts really? i'm not a website designer i just google everything until it works haha. however i have picked up some basic knowledge so please reply as basic as possible.

Thanks
    Anthony

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    First of all, an iframe isn't on the page in which it appears, so it won't do anything for you in regards to SEO, ranking, or indexing. Iframe rendering is something that the browser does, not the website. You actually need to put the content ON the main page.

I'm not sure how your site is controlled (the back-end). Do you use PHP, MySQL, ... some sort of content management system?

You would use PHP to grab the data/content from a database and display it on the main page, as well as the other page(s). PHP is server-side, so the content is processed before it is sent to the browser.

The background issue looks like a javascript problem where it has to redraw it every time the browser size changes. When I adjust my browser size while viewing it, it flashes all over, disappears, reappears, etc. Maybe you should just make it a normal background? Make it simple. Nobody cares about the fixed background and floating content. It doesn't impress anybody.

Member #
    Firstly thank you for taking the time to reply!

its all just html with a bit of Java and other coding.

ahh yeah that's the easy option to put a normal background ha ha, as a potential customer most people just want to see the menu and opening times, so i see what your saying however i think to have an image of mouth watering food in your face would be nice. is there a simplier script to achieve what i want?

Thanks
    Anthony

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    How about trying a static image without javascripting and see what happens. Get it stable and looking good on all devices and then we can examine what you have and try to work-in the changing images once more. So I'm basically saying, do the page without any javascripting, make it look nice, and then see what can be done.

I mention this method because maybe the javascripting isn't the issue ... you'll discover that if you get down to the basics without javascripting.

Remove Ads