Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Secure download

Member #

Secure download

Hi all

I am after a bit of information if anyone can help me,
    I am selling an ebook online and at the moment on receipt of payment via paypal I email the ebook to the buyer.
    This is not ideal as a lot of email providers have very small file size limits and the ebook file comes bouncing back! I've also had to reduce the file from a crystal clear 80mb file to a 20mb PDF which is less than perfect from a clarity point of view.
    What I want to do ideally is set up a secure download area on my web space where the file can be stored. The login and password can then be emailed on receipt of payment so the buyer can download the file. All pretty straight forward so far!
    The problem I am trying to get around is a buyer potentially posting the login and password details on the web for all to download without paying.
    A perfect scenario would be after the buyer has downloaded the file the login and password become redundant so they cannot be used by another person.
    Is this possible and how?
    Thanks in advance
    Gaz

Member #
    Ok folks,
    A bit of progress (maybe)
    I have created a password protected secure folder on my web server where I am storing the ebook file.
    My aim now is to email the URL with password etc as soon as I receive payment via Paypal.
    The question is now can I set up a mail filter in thunderbird where it recognises the "payment received" email from Paypal and picks out the buyers email address from the Paypal email so as to forward a mail template with the secure folder login details?
    I get a sneaky feeling that the filter will send the template back to paypal instead of the buyers registered paypal email address.
    If I can get this to work I can increase the resolution of the file and at the same time save myself a lot of emailing!
    For security I can change the password for the secure folder every 24 hours.
    Any help on this would be great.
    regards
    Gaz

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's possible, but it requires a bit of server-side programming (PHP, ASP.net, what-have-you) and at the very least a page that randomly emails the user his/her credentials to download the eBook one time. When you created the PayPal button, you had the option of putting in a "thank you" URL. The "thank you" URL (the one that indicates successful payment) should allow for the username / password to be generated and sent to the user via email.

This is not a 100% foolproof method, either. Whenever you use the PayPal button, people have to click a button in turn on the PayPal site to continue back to yours and activate the "thank you" URL. They don't always do that. About 5-10% won't, depending on your crowd.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    You're using PayPal ...
    Have you looked at their Express Checkout for Digital Goods (like eBook)?
    https://developer.paypal.com/docs/cl...digital-goods/

If you're not into programming, or no experience, maybe you can hire someone to create a PHP script for you.

Are you selling only one eBook, or will this become a thing where you sell many of them?

Also ... what form is the eBook? The filetype?

Member #
    Hi all and thanks for the replies.
    Yes, I am using Paypal as my merchant. I looked at paypal digital goods before I started selling the ebook but found it difficult to even get started due to actually not being able to find enough info from paypal, its as if they are even intentionally making it difficult to get started. I will check your link though now.
    I am hopefully going to expand and sell more ebooks and at the moment the book is in PDF format.
    Thanks
    Gaz

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I haven't used Express Checkout for Digital Goods, but I have used Express Checkout. It's strange, but in relative terms to other eCommerce APIs it's about "average" to "slightly above average" in terms of difficulty. If you know a server-side programming language such as ASP.net or PHP or ASP, you just need to understand the EC process and then you'll be able to work with it. It basically goes like this.

User initiates transaction
    Site requests token from EC
    EC sends token
    Site passes token to EC
    EC takes over for a bit and user goes to PayPal's site to select payment method and shipping address (if applicable...in your case, it isn't)
    EC returns user to site to perform any other steps and complete transaction

Once you understand those things, you'll be okay. If you're not, call them. I've had to do it a couple of times and their API support team is pretty good.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads