Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: new!!!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

new!!!

hey all,
    so there isnt an introduction section here, well i couldnt find one anyway so im spamming here
    plan on spending a fair amount of time on this over the next while hence the intro

so, about me. im a car guy through and through, italian only
    but, im sick of working as a mechanic and parts man so im giving web design a go. why? being a car guy from ireland i spend alot of time on the national forums, but theyre not that good, never liked the off the helf forum layout and i plan on building something better, specific to the irish car scene

right now im learning html and css. from, wait for it.... web design for dummies ha
    say what you want ive lways found their book helpful, and i imagine its a good a starting place as any.

what i aim to learn

php
    sql or mysql
    ajax
    flash

if anyone knows of any other stuff i should be learning please say so. and yes i am fully aware that building a forum from scratch is no easy task.

so, in your opinion, if a intelligent-ish guy was to deote 6 hours a day (no weekends) to learning all this stuff, how long do you think it would take to complete it all?

also, can anyone recommend a good free wireframe and sitemap builder? microsoft visio is around the 700 mark :0

thanks guys and girls
    happy motoring

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    damn, tough crowd lol

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You might want to wait a couple of hours for someone to see this. :P

First off, I'd say "unlearn" Flash. Adobe and Apple don't like each other or play nicely in the sandbox together, nor does Flash work on most mobile devices.

Second, to accomplish your goal would depend on you, how you learn, what you learn, and how you apply it. It could take months. It could take years. It'll take you quite a bit of time at any rate.

As far as a good "website builder" is concerned, I know people that use Word or WordPad or Notepad++ to write out their site plan and goals. I know people that draw things out in Photoshop. Again, this is a "you" thing...as in whatever works for you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    You might want to wait a couple of hours for someone to see this. :P

First off, I'd say "unlearn" Flash. Adobe and Apple don't like each other or play nicely in the sandbox together, nor does Flash work on most mobile devices.

Second, to accomplish your goal would depend on you, how you learn, what you learn, and how you apply it. It could take months. It could take years. It'll take you quite a bit of time at any rate.

As far as a good "website builder" is concerned, I know people that use Word or WordPad or Notepad++ to write out their site plan and goals. I know people that draw things out in Photoshop. Again, this is a "you" thing...as in whatever works for you.
    i should have added impatient to the about me part ha..
    thanks for the reply

sandbox?
    its my understanding that flash is the best way to create, like, interactiveness?

i will be building a seperatemobile site, probably an app.

as for learning. when im motivated with something i learn quickly. so im a quick learner on this subject for the best part i was hopin 4 to 6 months, is this realistic?

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    welcome coleio ...

A "forum" is a super hard script to create from scratch when you have no programming experience. Maybe by the end of 2015 you might have something that works without any security issues. That's why most of us just use an existing system and customize it for our own "look and feel".

Pre-made scripts and templates are not all bad. From a development standpoint, they save a lot of time. I'm not a huge fan of WordPress, because the wp sites are sort of boring. When a client needs a website fast, and they don't care about 'custom' or 'super personality', then wp becomes a good option.

You can refer to the "good ole" freelance triangle:

QUALITY
    COST
    TIME

When you talk to a client about creating a website, let them pick two of the three options. The one they don't choose is for you, at your discretion.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    thanks mlseim, yeah, apparently i have my work cut out for me lol. but thats ok, even if it is 2015 before its out i dont mind. i run a business already, which is very efficient and needs little to no imput from me so im financially stable and have the time to spare on this. if need be i can always hire some college guy in their 2nd year for some experience work, right now i need to get my grip on all the above languages, hopeless perfectionist i am, so understanding it all is a must.

the chat feature on facebook, is that done with php and ajax? i will want the same for my site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coleio View Post
    sandbox?
    its my understanding that flash is the best way to create, like, interactiveness?
    It means that both companies act like 5-year-olds in a sandbox trying to share a pail when they're arguing with each other. "Flash is too resource-heavy." "No, it's not. You just overdid it on the graphics for Leopard." "Nuh uhhhhhhhhhhhh. Adobe smells like doody! Hehhehhehhehheh!"

The best way to create "interactiveness" depends on what you're doing. This forum itself is interactive, and other than the occasional Google advertiser uses no flash at all. If you're talking about changing elements dynamically on a page without page load, Javascript (and by extension AJAX) would be the best way to go, but there is no 100% universally accepted client-side way to do this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It means that both companies act like 5-year-olds in a sandbox trying to share a pail when they're arguing with each other. "Flash is too resource-heavy." "No, it's not. You just overdid it on the graphics for Leopard." "Nuh uhhhhhhhhhhhh. Adobe smells like doody! Hehhehhehhehheh!"

The best way to create "interactiveness" depends on what you're doing. This forum itself is interactive, and other than the occasional Google advertiser uses no flash at all. If you're talking about changing elements dynamically on a page without page load, Javascript (and by extension AJAX) would be the best way to go, but there is no 100% universally accepted client-side way to do this.
    hmmmm, im going to have to look into that more, dummies recommends flash and didnt mention java, i have heard of javascript before so it was in my mind alright. ill have to watch this space

by the way, love your signiture, i too am a self proclaimed know-it-all haha

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    so flash over java??
    and what about live chat?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Javascript. Javascript and Java are not the same thing. That's why I didn't mention it.

And if Dummies recommends Flash, you're either dealing with a dated book or there's a reason it's a Dummies book. Flash is just starting to die the Internet death (that's where something never quite dies but fades away mostly from the public consciousness.)

Glad you like my signature. Shoots right over most people's heads.

Remove Ads