Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

What is best to use to build this website?

Hi everyone, first time poster, I need some help. Any input appreciated! And if this post is better suited elsewhere, please direct me.

The situation: I have a website that I made in Weebly. I am not a super techy guy, but I am not completely inept either. Anyway, I made a very simple site in Weebly that works, but there are some major functionality problems.

I need to figure out what I can use to build the site so it works better. And the limitation is I don't want to have to build it from scratch with code. I'm looking for a platform or program that will work.

What the site is: a simple 5 page site where someone pays us to do a document filing service.

Page 1 is a landing page, page 2 the customer enters some personal information (name, address, etc), page 3 they select a couple of options and up-sells (expedited filing service, receipt of filing, etc), page 4 they enter their credit card, page 5 is the thank you page with another up-sell on it.

Simple simple.

Problems:

1-- form entries simply come into my email. It's a mess. I have to dig through emails to get customer information to do their filing. I want the form entry information to somehow compile in 1 place in an organized matter. I hope this makes sense.

2-- site is not secure. Its made in Weebly.

3-- payment setup. Customers go through a few pages that present different options before checking out. The checkout page should sum up all the options they chose, and present a total fee where they put in their credit card. I have these options broken up on multiple site pages rather than putting them on 1 page because it leads to better conversion.

Is there anything I can use to build a simple site that can correct these problems? I am not a web guy, I don't want to have to learn Ruby on Rails to make this site. Is there a good program I can use that has this kind of functionality? Dreamweaver? Shopify? Something else?

Once again, if anyone has any insight I truly truly appreciate it.
    Last edited by tsanner; Jan 12th, 2014 at 11:56 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    When you say the site "is not secure" because it was made in Weebly, do you mean it doesn't support SSL? Unless you're processing credit card info or other sensitive data, you don't really need that. And if your customers are actually passing CC info through Weebly, I'd be seriously surprised if it did not support SSL.

Personally, I would go with a WordPress site with an e-commerce plugin like WooCommerce. You'll probably find the interface more organized when viewing orders and such. Dreamweaver is pretty archaic as far as I know, only good for making "static" sites and wouldn't help you with the e-Commerce features you need. Shopify, maybe. But if you're selling services (not shipping products) it may offer a few too many bells and whistles for you.

If you don't have the time to invest in learning a new platform, I've heard Squarespace is pretty easy to use and it supports e-commerce stuff that you'd need.

Member #
    Thank you for the reply DC. So your thoughts are WordPress with WooCommerce might be the simplest way to set things up?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    First of all, if you're having credit card information sent to email without an SSL, that's both incredibly dangerous and quite possibly illegal depending on your jurisdiction and its laws (DISCLAIMER: not a lawyer, advice provided "as is"). By not encrypting the information in transit and by keeping your customers' CC info in your email, you run the risk of having it intercepted in transit or if your mail server is hacked, which makes you potentially liable for any loss and / or damages. You just can't do that and the sooner you stop, the better.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/ <-- whenever you build an eCommerce site, you should be very aware of these standards and build your site to them. Most, if not all, payment processors make this a requirement and you may have to undergo a PCI compliance scan, or regular scans, to ensure that you're playing by the rules. You owe it to yourself, and you especially owe it to your customers.

I would normally never make a recommendation like this because I am not a fan of the platform, but since you don't want to learn code and you want something that will work, Yahoo Merchant Solutions: Small Business Webhosting | Ecommerce | Sell Online Today integrated with PayPal would do the trick in this case. Yahoo! takes care of the SSL (you have a shared SSL), you can customize the number and order of the payment pages somewhat, and you can style the pages as you see fit. You also avoid having to worry about PCI compliance since Yahoo! takes care of all that for you, so you shift the liability away from yourself.

The downside to the Yahoo! storefront, and it's a huge one, is that it's both incredibly dated and incredibly awkward to work with. You can get it to look and feel the way you want it to eventually, but you are going to struggle a lot more than you normally would to get that look and feel. You're going to find the same thing in general with a lot of storefront platforms, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tsanner View Post
    Thank you for the reply DC. So your thoughts are WordPress with WooCommerce might be the simplest way to set things up?
    I wouldn't call it the "simplest" solution. Some cookie-cutter service like the Yahoo! thing TheGAME mentioned would probably be simpler, although like he said not even he really recommends it. It's just a quick way to get set up a PCI compliant e-commerce site.

The WordPress/WooCommerce (or really any other e-commerce plugin) just the route I would choose to take if I were in your position. You'll be responsible for your own SSL certificate though, and other things.
    Last edited by DC Web Design; Jan 14th, 2014 at 09:34 AM.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    First of all, if you're having credit card information sent to email without an SSL, that's both incredibly dangerous and quite possibly illegal depending on your jurisdiction and its laws (DISCLAIMER: not a lawyer, advice provided "as is"). By not encrypting the information in transit and by keeping your customers' CC info in your email, you run the risk of having it intercepted in transit or if your mail server is hacked, which makes you potentially liable for any loss and / or damages. You just can't do that and the sooner you stop, the better.

Remove Ads