Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: New being freelance webdeveloper

Member #

New being freelance webdeveloper

I am currently working on a project for a company that needs a pretty complex website. They had their website in weebly which really sucked. I am working on a prototype to show them what I can do but the project is pretty complex as I mention. I am doing it in WordPress and they basically want an e-commerce website where users can upload their products and every sale the company gets a percentage. Also they want to charge for membership so people can put up their profiles in their website and post make posts on the website. I am supposed to meet them personally but I am pretty new on being a freelance Web Developer, so I am not sure how to negotiate it with them. How much should I charge and based on what?. I know websites like this can cost around 2000$ but I am sure they do not know that.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    (Your hourly rate) x (amount of hours it will take you).

Doing that site in WordPress is just asking for trouble, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Should I use another CMS?

Member #
    Last week i hire Web developer in $10 per hours. If you charge them round about $ 10 to 15 per hours it will better for you and them. i think you will complete this task within 2 weeks this time and charge is perfect for you.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by karimelahi View Post
    Last week i hire Web developer in $10 per hours. If you charge them round about $ 10 to 15 per hours it will better for you and them. i think you will complete this task within 2 weeks this time and charge is perfect for you.
    Really? You don't know where he's from. You don't know the business expenses he may have. You don't know what he charges. So you just picked a number and told him to charge it because it's perfect for you.

You should work for the government.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpko View Post
    Should I use another CMS?
    If you can build one yourself, that's always the best approach. Storefront CMSes are rigid, bloated, and/or useless.

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    I think what you told us, with the specs, that wordpress won't have the capabilities to do all that.

What they want is really going to be a huge scripting project.

Let's just look at the part about people uploading stuff to sell...
    Do you realize what that entails?
    You're basically creating a "buy now" eBay site ... in miniature, but the same features.

Unless I had a good team of programmers in my back pocket, I would pass on this type of project.
    It will need expertise from several languages and an experienced project manager.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by karimelahi View Post
    I haven't made that little per hour since I was a cart pusher at Wal-Mart 15 years ago. The only way I'd take that little per hour is if I charged for 3 times as many hours.

Have we called this guy out for obviously not being from the US yet? Seems like something Game would've been all over.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Back on topic -
    First of all, I would never use Wordpress for any sort of e-commerce. There are a number of reasons for this; security, scalability, etc.
    Second - what you're describing is an enormous project, and if I were even to consider taking it on, i'd be looking to assemble a team for the project. It wil entail, at the very least, HTML,CSS, PHP (or some other server-side language) javascript, MySQL (or whatever database application works with your server-side language). Then there's getting all that to work with a decent design.
    This is a project that would cost out in several multiples of what you've estimated - just on the bare outline you've given us I would guesstimate it at well into the 5-figure area.
    you say you're new to freelancing - that does not necessarily mean you're new to development but in this case what you have said leads me to think you are not very experienced in coding. If I were you I'd pass on this project - there is nothing more frustrating or discouraging than taking on something that defeats you at the outset. And there is no shame in admitting that it is beyond you; remember - "underpromise and overdeliver", not the other way around.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    I haven't made that little per hour since I was a cart pusher at Wal-Mart 15 years ago. The only way I'd take that little per hour is if I charged for 3 times as many hours.

Have we called this guy out for obviously not being from the US yet? Seems like something Game would've been all over.
    Oh, we've been calling him out. The problem is that he makes a stupid comment like he did here without justifying it and then leaves so that he doesn't get caught in a debate he can't win. He's the guy with the Pakistan IP address from the other thread.

fjpko: As Mare pointed out, what you're trying to build is pretty complex, and that's just what little we know about your project. Just because it sounds simple doesn't mean it is simple. The idea of user-generated content by itself makes your job a lot more complicated than it normally would be, since users will do anything at any time for any reason and quite often no reason at all. I'm sure there are other aspects either you don't know about or that you haven't told us that make a job like this an absolute monolith.

If you're not 100% sure you can take this project on, then you can't. It's that simple.

Remove Ads