Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

What software and why?

As many of you may know i am still extremely knew with coding. I took a web design class using DW and have decided to make it my major/minor.. I have seen alot of people say DW is horrible and not to use it. As i am new i enjoy it because its simple to understand. When i run into complications i assume its my lack of experience so i am unaware of the problems DW has, I am undecided if i will continue to use DW as i learn and ween myself off it once i understand coding more, or ditch it completely and hope i havent picked up any bad habits from using it! I have downloaded Adobe Brackets. I tend to go back to DW to see how to code something so i know i really need to work on my coding. What programs do you use and why? What programs have you tried and what turned you off of them? I have seen people mention Notepad++ and thats about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Well I personally use dream weaver and notepad++. I used dream weaver when i started coding due to its inbuilt tags and attribute showing which certainly help me in learning how to code very quickly. Also it provides live code preview support which allow us not o switch tabs again and again. So it is very good design tool for the beginners as well as experienced ones too, it totally depends upon person to person what they want to use as nothing is good or bad.Well though to grasp and remember all the tags and attributes heartly i started using notepad++.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I've used Brackets off and on, never knew it was an Adobe thing. Anyway, I keep finding myself going back to Sublime Text. It's simple, no junk, and incredibly extensible.

Using DW strictly as an editor isn't a problem. It's when you let DW do any of the coding for you that it mucks everything up. You hear people tell you not to use it because in the hands of a novice, the code will tend to get a bit hairy. Learn to code, then go back and see if DW works for you.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Programs I tried:

DW for about 15 minutes many years ago. Would never go back to it. Hated the interface, hated the code bloat, hated everything about it.
    Notepad++. Use it for a few things here and there.
    Allaire Homesite. Used it for many years and then Macromedia bought it and ruined it just before Macromedia was bought by Adobe and became the monolith we know today.
    Notepad. Yes, way way way back in the day I used Notepad to code things (late 90's).
    Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express. This is the one I presently use and have used for the last 4-5 years. It's free, it's not a WYSIWYG editor despite its name, and it works.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I have found DW to be very helpful when learning code, because if i do not know how to do something i can click a button and it DW will code it for me, from there i can see what to do and remember for next time.. My main problem is i dont want any of that to become a bad habit if it was wrong or "bloated".. I like easy.. But i prefer to have things done right.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Brackets is also called Adobe Code on creative cloud. I just called it brackets because not many people know of code but i have seen brackets brought up frequently

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    I have found DW to be very helpful when learning code, because if i do not know how to do something i can click a button and it DW will code it for me, from there i can see what to do and remember for next time.. My main problem is i dont want any of that to become a bad habit if it was wrong or "bloated".. I like easy.. But i prefer to have things done right.
    It's all for nought if you're learning how not to do it. It's like working on a car. You could learn by watching the guy down the street who does his own maintenance but always seems to have a broken car, or you could run to the parts store and pick up a Chilton manual and learn the right way to do it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    It's all for nought if you're learning how not to do it. It's like working on a car. You could learn by watching the guy down the street who does his own maintenance but always seems to have a broken car, or you could run to the parts store and pick up a Chilton manual and learn the right way to do it.
    And this is my point for the thread.. Like i said i like easy but not if its teaching me bad habits... I have received a mixture of opinions on beginners using DW to learn code and want to balance out the pros and cons for myself.. So far i have not found a reason to stick with DW.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    My only issue with this statement is that Chilton has a tendency to quote estimated time to do the job on the high side and a lot of mechanics will use the Chilton guide as the basis of their pricing, as opposed to how long it actually takes them.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    My only issue with this statement is that Chilton has a tendency to quote estimated time to do the job on the high side and a lot of mechanics will use the Chilton guide as the basis of their pricing, as opposed to how long it actually takes them.
    That sounds more like a problem with the mechanics. Chilton manuals are written for DIY'ers
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Remove Ads