Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By DC Web Design
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: building web comps and images etc

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

building web comps and images etc

hi again guys
    so making my way slowly through we design and im on the "building your comp" chapter. whats the best application for this? theres adobe, but navigating their webshop is left me wondering which one do i get?? then theres fireworks, apparently this is purpose built for creating web comps which might suit me better, but its not as popular. can anyone rate fireworks?

illustrator seems to be the industry standard for creating vector graphics right?

and im still stuck between flash and javascript, for creating interactiveness. i have heard flash is on its way out of the everchanging interweb world??

thanks
    cole

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Comps generally aren't interactive. They're just an image of what the final site is proposed to look like. Fireworks was purpose built for it, and you'll find some people who swear by it. It's a dead app, though. Adobe killed it, and though you can get it, you won't be getting any future versions, and official support will eventually wane. I personally found it clunky and limited. I don't do comps anymore, but when I did, I used Photoshop to create them.
    coleio likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coleio View Post
    and im still stuck between flash and javascript, for creating interactiveness. i have heard flash is on its way out of the everchanging interweb world??
    If you have to pick one, learn JavaScript. The "flash is dead" thing is up for the debate, but yeah...pretty much.
    coleio likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    thanks guys!! yeah apparently flash doesnt sit well with apple either.

off topic, but im waning through web design for dummise, although its a brilliant starting point for dummies like me i find it lacks the detail to make fst progress. can anyone recommend a good beginners book for html and css. also html5 and css3?

the dummies book spends to much time telling you how you should present your work to a client and the like which is all fairly irrelevant to me.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I wouldn't recommend a book at all, actually. I'd go so far as to extend it to any single resource, but especially a book.

There are so many resources online that are constantly being updated and there are so many different ways of doing things (e.g. what the guy does over at CSS-Tricks) that taking a book, reading it, and assuming you'll get everything you need from it is limiting. You might as well read from several spots, try stuff, read from several other spots, try more stuff, figure out your own things, and then repeat as needed.
    coleio likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yes there is that option, but for me, it wont be pieced together properly, i mean i took a look at a tutorial site a moment ago and found most the stuff mind boggeling.
    i guess what im looking for is a book that can teach me the fundimentials of the afformentioned languages, so i can build a practice site, get a feel for the common tools and functions and add the more complex stuff after.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Give codecademy.com a look.
    coleio likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads