Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: starting point

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

starting point

hi,
    so, i finished the web design for dummies book, it was good, didnt go into the dtail i would have thought and i sifted through it mostly but i have a solid plan as to where i need to go next.

that being said, can anyone recommend a good book for learning html, css, html5 and css3? it needs to be beginner orientated but not as much as the "dummies" book, i think im ready to get into the nitty gritty end of things now.

thanks guys
    cole

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    You might want to check out Web development tutorials, from beginner to advanced | Nettuts+

Don't just read the tutorials and move on to the next one though. Actually work through them and follow along as if you were actually building an actual web project. Real-life practice is the best way to learn web design.
    coleio likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    lol, when i first found out that i could create a simple webpage with notepad thats the first thing i did. learning by doing is undoubtedly the best way to go about things.
    that link looks good, thanks.

if anyone can recommend a good book for this i would really appreciate it

Ciao
    Cole

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coleio View Post
    if anyone can recommend a good book for this i would really appreciate it
    Is there any more specific subset you're interested in? Server administration? WordPress? PHP? Or just straight up HTML/CSS?
    coleio likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i doubt i will go into wordpress to much. i have a to do list though

html, html5
    css, css3
    php
    javascript
    ajax
    maybe flash

now i dont see any point in moving onto php until i have learned all the tricks of the first two.
    i understand what they are now thanks to "dummies" but, its the difference between knowing how an engine works and being able to work on one if you get me.

maybe there is an online course i can do if anyone knows of one? paid is fine, i just dont want to progress without knowing everything (or as much as possible) there is to know about the first two

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You'll never learn all of the tricks of the first two. When you think you do, someone will figure something else about it. If you're not constantly learning something when you're building sites, you're not doing it right. So get the basics down, and then move onto PHP and Javascript and AJAX.

Screw Flash. And Flanders. Notice how they both start with the same three letters. Think about it. Mind...BLOWN!
    AlphaMare and coleio like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    hi again, just replied to you in the other thread, thanks, ive learned that the art of web design is constantly growing, so i was a bit silly to say i want to know everything but what i would like is to learn the fundimentials of html and css, so i can go build a test site, learn and experience the tools and intricities there is and then move onto the more complex stuff, and the new stuff too. i mean, take a look at prattsofcarlow.ie thats my familys car garage site, its aweful and i imagine it is one of the simplest sites there is, so if i could learn to put together a site like that (but better laid out etc. because that is aweful) it would be a great starting point

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I'm personally not a big fan of books when learning web dev stuff. Have you checked out Code School? It costs like $20 a month (I think you can find an unlimited 2 day free trial floating around too). It has courses on just about anything you can think of. Video-based lectures w/ accompanying "code challenges." I think you'd like it.
    coleio likes this.

jed
    Member #
    I am new here like all that posted. You have almost 11,000 post so maybe you can point me in the right direction. I have an E-Commerce website on Go Daddy and the search engine visibility is at 58% its telling me that 17 pages have to many stops on them. I don't know how to read or write code but am willing to learn, or a book or web site that would help to fix my lack of SEO

Thanks in advance, Jed

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    jed, web design for dummies has a good lot of info on seo and if your interested in coding its a good starting place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads