Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: live online help

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

live online help

hi guys.
    so im learning about web design and i want to learn fast. i can and am dedicating alot of time to it but whats slowing me down is asking for advice.
    the forums are great, i had great help on here so far but theres two problems.
    1. im going to be wrecking peoples heads with the amount of questions i have
    2. i could be waiting a few hours for a response.

are there any services that can provide live chat help with this kind of stuff? obviously if there were such a thing it would be a paid servicee but thats ok i just get interested in something, find something i dont understand and am stopped in my tracks. some will say just write down the question and continue but i cant do that, call it ocd or adhd it just annoys me lol

thanks
    Cole

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Ask me a question here about a problem you're having.
    I want to experiment with something.
    coleio likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    ok, sure.

why do people post irrelevant comments on threads?:P

there all pretty basic questions, look back at some of my previous threads

if you say im just being lazy not googling for answers, well, you and i arent going to get along too well. i could google for half an hour and get 5 different answers. im simply enquiring as to the possability of such a paid service existing. simples

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    No services that I know of.

I certainly am not going to say you're lazy. On the contrary ... you're diving into this full steam ahead.

Here's my advice, and why I wanted you to ask a question about a situation you have ...

Let's say you don't know how a person can "log-in" and suddenly be able to view web pages that nobody else can see (unless they log-in).

That's a really good thing to learn with PHP. So, you have your own website to use for experimenting with scripts. Sort of like a sandbox to play in. You would concentrate on creating a small script that only does one thing. It has a page with a log-in form, and a PHP script to log the person in. If you googled things like "PHP user login script example", you would see a lot of discussions about PHP SESSION. So, google "PHP SESSION" and you'll find a lot of script examples about how they work. Try some examples using your "sandbox", get script failures, use echo commands to see what the values of variables are, and try to find out where it does or does not work. After maybe an hour or so, "eureka!" ... you get it to work. Now you know how PHP SESSIONs work and you put that snippet of code aside, save it in a directory where you can go back to it later. Move on to the next thing you wish to learn.

That's the way I learned PHP ... by finding out how something works. Seeing other examples and attempting it myself, with many failures and frustrations. Sometimes I asked questions on forums, sometimes I just hammered away until I got it to work. Many times I use the PHP online manual:
    PHP: date - Manual

HINT, HINT ... in the PHP manual, for every PHP command there are many authors that have discussed the commands and provided some scripting examples. Not necessarily the example you need for your script, but it shows you how the command works within a script. The syntax and usage of a command, it's properties, and functions. Look at the "date" command and view the author discussions. Pretty neat eh?

The date function in the PHP manual is one I've used the most, because I can never remember all of the various date format codes.

So there you go. We love to answer questions here. In fact, I learned the most about PHP by trying to answer someone else's PHP script questions. I challenged myself to solve someone else's PHP script failure when I actually knew nothing about what they were doing. That's how I learned MySQL actually.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 16th, 2014 at 01:49 PM.
    coleio likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    thanks for the reply bud.

i think the best way to learn is by practicing each thing as you go along. so im going to be building a simple site similar to damnlol.com to share car meme images, i looked at the source code, most of its over my head still but its not a massive page at least

i do have a setlift of what i have to learn though

html..html5 (where i am now)
    css..css3
    php
    ajax
    javascript(jquery)
    sql

i would have this in my signature but im not sure how to add one, i think i need 100 posts or summi

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Do you have your own website online (shared webhost) where you can do your scripting?

That would be important ... so you could learn some simple PHP at the same time as HTML or javascripting. And if questions, we could see what you're doing by seeing a webpage or script you create.
    coleio likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    no, for now im just writing with sublimetext, saving as html and opening in firefox.

the pics site will be about a month down the line, depending on how fast i can get advice on questions. really frustrating lol

if your online now bud can you check my other thread on anchoring?

Remove Ads