Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coding question for online store

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    It's not a horrible idea, but you still have to build the cart components itself. PayPal also generally doesn't convert at its optimal level unless you sign up for Website Payments Pro. The rest of the carts depend on what your users want, and the third-party carts are generally garbage as far as customizations go.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Coding question for online store

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It's not a horrible idea, but you still have to build the cart components itself. PayPal also generally doesn't convert at its optimal level unless you sign up for Website Payments Pro. The rest of the carts depend on what your users want, and the third-party carts are generally garbage as far as customizations go.
    I have turned them down again. I do not want to do something i dont unserstand yet. But now being asked time and time again i am interested in learning what to do. I have researched the third-party plugins and i do not like the themes.. My main thing is i do not want to use a theme.. A script maybe to do something, but if i am using the theme i do not feel like i am doing anything. My concern is when coding things like shopping carts how do you keep information safe? I have been doing a lil php,java, and just recently started looking at mysql. It all seems within my grasp, my problem is i have never seen anything to do with coding involving security? I also do not understand how you verify all the account info is correct. Like how would you link it to an account. It is frustrating because i can find tons of info about everything except the shopping cart!

I seen the payments pro option but that did not say anything about a cart. It did however say something about easily intergrated with your cart? So i assumed that meant it required a cart from an outside source. So i am stuck back at where i am now. I hate to tell people i cannot do something. So i am going to do as much as i can to learn this side of programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Vapr_Arts; Jan 22nd, 2014 at 05:57 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    what I would really like is to get something like from WebAssist.com SuperSuite it is a plugin to design your own site and all, only problem is its in dreamweaver and I am trying to avoid using dreamweaver lately. Is there anything like this out there for developers?

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    You have a decision to make about how to handle the credit cards.

There are two options, and the acronyms are different with each credit card company.

1) SIM - Simple Integration Method
    This is like a normal paypal gateway. A customer adds items to a cart or clicks a button. When they are ready to pay, they leave your unsecure website and enter PayPal (secure website). PayPal takes their CC info and they pay. After paying, they are returned back to your website. The key point is that you do not have a secure server and the customer has to leave your site for payment.

2) AIM - Advanced Integration Method
    You are required to have a secure server. The customer adds items to a cart and when they pay, they remain on your website. You have to provide the forms for them to enter their CC information. You submit the request to the CC merchant and they do an "approval". They return a response back to you and you decide how to handle it ... "approved", "denied", "etc". You save all of the customer data in your own database. The customer never leaves your website.

The type of ecommerce script you use may offer both methods for you to pick from, as well as the credit card merchant you choose to handle the transactions.

If you create your own script from scratch, you will first have to subscribe (create an account) with a credit card merchant and set-up the account. They will be tied together with your actual bank account, and you'll be paying for fees and transactions. The cc merchant you choose may offer both SIM and AIM. You decide which to use. The cc merchant will often have sample PHP or ASP scripts to use showing the website developer how to communicate the transaction between your secure website and their server.

If you choose SIM, your cc merchant will show you how to send the customer to their POS (point of sale) screens and how to get the customer back to your site. I always use PayPal as the example of a SIM, and Authorize.net as an example of an AIM. Authorize.net does offer both SIM and AIM.

There are many cc merchants to pick from. All of them offer different fees, payments, and transaction fees.

For a great example of how it works, view Authorize.net:
    Credit Card Processing Diagram: How Credit Card Processing Works - Authorize.Net

Here's another tip:
    Just about ALL cc merchants (even paypal) offer a free developer account where you can set up a fake buyer and fake seller to test out your scripts before you go "live". The test accounts will function exactly like the real thing, but the transactions are not real. This feature is the key to developing your own custom ecommerce and making it work before you actually move real money between the cc merchant and your bank. The cc merchant will even offer a bad cc number so you can check the "denied" response.

My point of all this is that you not only have the shopping cart script to worry about, but the cc merchant gateway script. And just the cc merchant gateway could be a ton of advanced scripting/programming. Not something for an unexperienced person.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 22nd, 2014 at 09:33 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You're right...you integrate Payments Pro with a shopping cart. It doesn't work as a cart by itself. The only thing it does is adds the processing.

To be honest with you, you're doing the smartest thing you can do right now. Online commerce isn't easy, nor is it supposed to be. All of the same concerns a business owner would have with a brick-and-mortar operation are the ones (s)he has with an online operation.

Merchant accounts
    Taxation
    Legal issues (making sure policies are clear and don't get the owner into trouble)
    Marketing
    Copywriting
    Sales
    Product acquisition
    Organizing the store

Those are but a few. If you're learning the basics, you're not ready. Don't even think about tackling e-commerce until you've mastered a server-side programming language and built things. It's a complicated beast. The clients who want you to build something really have no idea what they're in for that way.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Yea although it hurts me to admit i am uncapable of doing something i could not take on this project..

From the info i have gathered all i can get from it is A) its something i am not able to do at the moment. B) there is alot of money in it and it is something i want to be involved in!

I havent even fully mastered html/css so i got a way to go.. Im trying to learn javascript at the moment and from there ill move to server side languages.

It just drives me crazy to turn ppl down. So my goal is to learn this as quickly as possible.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Here's the thing, dude...it'll take you months, probably years, to learn the code aspects of it well enough to build something, even if you use a cart to help you along. The code aspects are the easiest part, though. The hard part is all the other stuff that goes into making an e-commerce site go.

If you look at an e-commerce site as a business...which it is...then you'll understand why. I get not wanting to turn work down, but in this case you don't want to walk into it as a rookie.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Here's the thing, dude...it'll take you months, probably years, to learn the code aspects of it well enough to build something, even if you use a cart to help you along. The code aspects are the easiest part, though. The hard part is all the other stuff that goes into making an e-commerce site go.

If you look at an e-commerce site as a business...which it is...then you'll understand why. I get not wanting to turn work down, but in this case you don't want to walk into it as a rookie.
    I hate admitting i am not able to do something.. I pick up things fairly quickly and usually when asked to do something, i can usually do it, or im able to teach myself how. I understand this is different and that is why i am able to turn it down. I know i cant do this. I am pretty sure it will take me awhile to learn how to do it. It may be my ego, but saying i cant makes me want to learn how.

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    @Vapr ...
    Then you should learn how, but on your own website, where you can mess around without hurting anything.
    Go to the PayPal Developers site and create your own developer user. That way, you can use their free service that mimicks a real paypal account.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    @Vapr ...
    Then you should learn how, but on your own website, where you can mess around without hurting anything.
    Go to the PayPal Developers site and create your own developer user. That way, you can use their free service that mimicks a real paypal account.
    I plan on it.. I still need alot of work in other areas but i plan on within the next few weeks to start looking more into it, im still learning javascript and php and just recently started looking into mysql. Like i said i have a ways to go but i am very interested and will definitely take a stab at it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads