Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: how can I get first dibbs on a domain name?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

how can I get first dibbs on a domain name?

Hi,

I have made a couple of websites for clients who have since stopped trading but Im keen to keep these sites going. I dont own the domain names for these sites so intended to buy them as soon as their registration ended and then bring the sites back online.

The first of these sites expired but before I could purchase the domain name someone else had snuck in there and bought it so I cant recreate the site on that domain anymore.

Anyway this was a very small website with quite a conveluted domain name so I was quite shocked that someone had got in there and purchased it so quickly as if they had either set some kind of alarm that notified them the minute it had expired or they had somehow put in a kind of advanced purchase order which meant that as soon as it was available it was purchased for them.

The next domain name set to expire is a very very good domain name. I know that the client paid many thousands of pounds for it so I am very keen to register this one as soon as its available.

Is there anyway I can request to purchase it before it becomes available? like a waiting list. Or are there any other methods you can recommend to make sure someone else doesnt jump in there and register it before me?

thanks

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    If the sites are going offline, why not just move them to a subdirectory on your own site? Not too much point in paying to keep someone else's site up, especially when they aren't going to use it anymore.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    One of them is a very good domain name which is very adaptable to start my own business doing similar to what they were doing and they have had some extensive SEO work done so it would be great to start on page 1 of Google rather than having to repeat all the SEO work.

another one of them is in a niche Im interested in and would like to create my own 'hobby' site on that domain, again Id like to keep the Search Engine 'juice' rather than having to start from scratch.

I have a couple more that have enough traffic to make a little money out of just sticking some adverts up there.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    It's sometimes not a person, but a domain 'bank' that buys them up automatically. The system isn't very fair in my opinion. There are specific rules about when an expired domain name is available for purchase. I goes through several 'probation' periods to give the original owner a chance to reclaim.

Read more about it here:
    FAQs | ICANN

The best way to get the domains you want is to simply ask the owner(s) if you can have them (when they don't want them anymore), and offer a token amount of money for their time to get the "security code" you'll need to do the transfer. You need to have the domain name transferred to you BEFORE they expire.

I wanted a domain name really bad, but it was owned by an Italian company. I saw their website gone one day and emailed them about having the domain name. They were very friendly ... I could have gotten it, but there was a language barrier issue between me (English) and them (Italian). They didn't understand the steps to allow me to have it transferred. It ended-up expiring and was snatched by Tucows. They parked it and now offer it for sale, for about $2000. Tucows will never use the domain name, and I'll never afford to buy it. So it will sit there doing nothing.

Another thing for anyone viewing this thread ...

Some overseas (Asia, Middle East) companies send emails to site owners that mention a business is interested in using the same name as your domain, but a different TLD (top level domain). For example, my website (catpin.com) ... The person emailing said they worked for a webhost and a company in Hong Kong wanted to use the domain name "catpin.hk" and a bunch of other TLD's. They wanted to know if I was OK with that, and if it would impact the image of my American company. The bottom of the email said that I could buy all of the other TLD's to protect my interest, and if I didn't, that Asian company could legally take my ".com" forcing me to surrender it.

Delete those emails, they are scammers. Nobody can take your domain name except under specific rules about trademarks and trade names. Example, if you register "micro-soft-products.com", you will probably have that domain name taken away. It becomes a legal issue, and the person with the most money usually wins.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 21st, 2014 at 09:32 AM.
    medlington likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks,

Yeah I dont think its fair and Im sure some company will do this for the one that Im after. Still Ive got a few months to try to 301 it to a new domain name but Id love to get my hands on the original ones.

As for the emails from Asia, I get these all the time, sometimes I offer them my domain name for 100,000 but for some reason they're not interested

All of a sudden a company did open up with our name in Egypt though doing the same things that we do but I dont really see it as any problem, infact as we come higher in the SERPs than them we may even steal a little international business from them

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Domain Backorders | Secure Your Dream Domain - GoDaddy

I've done it once before and it did work, but I wouldn't go down that road too often. (Too much money).
    medlington likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks,

I dont mind paying that money for atleast one of these sites as I make roughly 5 a day from it so it will soon pay for itself

Remove Ads