Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Instant Site Builders

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    Member #
    38248

    Instant Site Builders

    Hey Guys, Am relatively new to web design and am wondering about some of these instant site builders that the major hosts offer. GoDaddy have them, BlueHost have them, many hosts seem to have them. I used one to build my site (socialexperts.info). The GoDaddy instant site builder I used was pretty good, but I am wondering if there are better options? Which host has the best Instant site builder type tool? I realise that it is possible to use wordpress, but the site I am making only requires a few pages, so wordpress would seem to complicated. Basically I just want to know which instant site type tool works best. I am on GoDaddy so am presuming they are pretty good as they are quite big.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 21st, 2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Removed hot link per WDF posting rules.

  2.  

  3. #2
    Senior Member Ronald Roe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    3,139
    Member #
    27197
    Liked
    959 times
    You aren't going to find many people, if any at all who have an answer to this question. There's pretty much zero love for those programs around here, because they're all crap. Just close your eyes and pick one at random. When you try to find the best turd in the sewer, you're still going to walk away with a turd.
    TheGAME1264 and AlphaMare like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

  4. #3
    WDF Staff mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    7,772
    Member #
    5580
    Liked
    723 times
    doh!
    I just read a whole article about companies that "buy likes and various clicks" for FaceBook, Twitter, etc. There are rooms of people that spend their day posting, clicking, and liking anyone's social page ... that pay for clicks. Not to be racist or anything, but those rooms are usually located in Asia and the Middle East. To be fair, there are some of these places located in America.

    What ever happened to people or companies that are creative enough to "think for themselves"? If a company is so lazy that they can't provide a site that has interesting or valuable content, and rely on hiring someone to make them look good ... that doesn't sound like a company I want to do business with.

    I think it's going to be a short life for sites like SocialExperts. Businesses that get caught buying "likes" and "tweets" will end-up losing customers big-time.

    In the case of socialexperts, I don't think it matters how the website was created, whether it was by GoDaddy's site builder, or created by hand. In my opinion (and again, my opinion), their whole business plan is based on "cheating, lying, and false-advertising". And I don't mean socialexperts themselves, but the businesses that are using their services.

    Enough ranting for now ... sorry.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.


  5. #4
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,482
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ummm...wrong section, Max?

    EDIT: never mind...saw what you were talking about.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jan 22nd, 2014 at 07:27 AM.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  6. #5
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,482
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wamba View Post
    Hey Guys, Am relatively new to web design and am wondering about some of these instant site builders that the major hosts offer. GoDaddy have them, BlueHost have them, many hosts seem to have them. I used one to build my site (socialexperts.info). The GoDaddy instant site builder I used was pretty good, but I am wondering if there are better options? Which host has the best Instant site builder type tool? I realise that it is possible to use wordpress, but the site I am making only requires a few pages, so wordpress would seem to complicated. Basically I just want to know which instant site type tool works best. I am on GoDaddy so am presuming they are pretty good as they are quite big.
    I have no idea why people keep making assumptions like this, but I'm actually glad you stated it this blatantly because you're far from the only person who thinks this way. You're just the only one who's stated this.

    Big doesn't always equate to good. Government is big. Exxon is big. Disney is big. GoDaddy is big. And in at least some ways, all of them absolutely suck. In the case of GoDaddy, they're a decent registrar. They are. Prices are usually at least reasonable, support is "good enough" for the one time every three or so years I actually need it, and their registrant interface does what I want it to do.

    As a host? Useless. Absolutely useless. I wouldn't have even said this before about 3 months ago, either. But here's why I say it now...GoDaddy lost a database that I had built. As in they deleted it completely and had no backup for it...at least none that they knew how to get at. Fortunately, I had taken a backup just after I created it...or so I thought. The backup tool that I had to use to create it (shared hosting plan and the client picked the host) was corrupted. So I had to completely recreate the database. Fortunately, that only took about 2 hours, but it was still wasted time and money.

    Of course, as a Social Expert, you probably should know all of this...and you should know why you shouldn't be building a site using an instant site builder. For those who don't know the answer to this, it's because "instant site builders" are limited in what they can do and building a site with decent content that would attract organic interest from people who might use social media sites to spread the word is next to impossible with these types of sites. But then again, SMOs are the new SEOs...no concept of how to build anything or do anything useful, but good God almighty do you people know how to market...to other marketers...who market...to other marketers...and no one's really selling anything because the emperor has no clothes, but SHUT UP NON-SEO-SMO NON-INTERNET-MARKETING-GURU JERK!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  7. #6
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,482
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    doh!
    I just read a whole article about companies that "buy likes and various clicks" for FaceBook, Twitter, etc. There are rooms of people that spend their day posting, clicking, and liking anyone's social page ... that pay for clicks. Not to be racist or anything, but those rooms are usually located in Asia and the Middle East. To be fair, there are some of these places located in America.

    What ever happened to people or companies that are creative enough to "think for themselves"? If a company is so lazy that they can't provide a site that has interesting or valuable content, and rely on hiring someone to make them look good ... that doesn't sound like a company I want to do business with.

    I think it's going to be a short life for sites like SocialExperts. Businesses that get caught buying "likes" and "tweets" will end-up losing customers big-time.

    In the case of socialexperts, I don't think it matters how the website was created, whether it was by GoDaddy's site builder, or created by hand. In my opinion (and again, my opinion), their whole business plan is based on "cheating, lying, and false-advertising". And I don't mean socialexperts themselves, but the businesses that are using their services.

    Enough ranting for now ... sorry.
    Just to add to this, I see this contact form spam at least once a day (haven't bothered to write a filter to block it yet because it's "only" once a day, though):
    You have received a contact form submission from Social. His/her message is as follows:

    Hello,

    I am a professional social media manager, obviously . Thousands of Twitter Followers can visit and endorse your Brand/website.
    How do you think Justin Bieber get his first 1,000,000 followers before his first album? His producers bought the Twitter followers for him?
    I have something to offer that might interest you. http://searchlland.com/buy-twitter-followers.php

    By placing more than 10,000 endorsements using Twitter Followers. This tell Google that your website is relative and authentic to what you do.
    IT WILL BE POSTED RIGHT ON YOUR WEBSITE FOR ALL VISITORS TO SEE HOW MANY - Twitter Followers you have, via Twitters real counter button.
    In today's world, interaction between companies and their potential and existing customers is carried out through social media.
    The high rating will help increase the credibility of your website and of the services which you offer.
    These indicators (Twitter Followers) will be visible on your website. If you have not installed Twitter Followers count button on your website - I can help you install it!
    After my work is finished, the Twitter Followers Count Button will confirm a high ranking of your site, which will be noticed and appreciated by your visitors, and they will also be able to recommend your site to their friends on these social network.

    The cost of the service is very low compared to the obvious gains, just the credibility you will gain alone. I work without pre-payment. Payment is carried out after all the work is done.
    You pay once and all Twitter Followers are placed.
    Please let me know if you are interested.
    If this does not interest you, I'm sorry to have bothered you! Have a good day! http://searchlland.com/unsubscribe.php

    Sincerely,
    Twitter Follower Provider

    Item Name: Social
    City: San Francisco
    State: WA
    Telephone: 888-233-0877
    As much as I enjoy the part about Justin Bieber buying followers because I don't think anyone over the age of 10 really likes his music, it shows just how flawed social media marketing is as a concept. As Matt Cutts said in his blog a couple of days ago (I can't believe I'm quoting other people, but in this case it's well-worded):
    Ultimately, this is why we canít have nice things in the SEO space: a trend starts out as authentic. Then more and more people pile on until only the barest trace of legitimate behavior remains.
    Although "social media" isn't one of the "nice things", it's an example of how "SEOs" dilute, distort and destroy other sites and concepts without regard for the people who run them in an effort to market themselves.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  8. #7
    Senior Member Ronald Roe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    3,139
    Member #
    27197
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Just to add to this, I see this contact form spam at least once a day (haven't bothered to write a filter to block it yet because it's "only" once a day, though):
    I'll give you $0.20/link you post to my blog post about combating form spam...
    All transactions subject to $0.20 processing fee.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    As much as I enjoy the part about Justin Bieber buying followers because I don't think anyone over the age of 10 really likes his music...
    Funny you should mention that. 10 was right about when my daughter stopped paying any attention to that entitled little s***.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

  9. #8
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,482
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Smart girl!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)


Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com