Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: help with godaddy

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Some people are Windows Server experts and prefer the way they operate. I think the software features, what they offer, make a difference. I'm just used to the Linux server w/PHP and the typical control panel. Maybe someone else knows more about the differences ... they can comment more on this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Im pretty sure mine defaulted to a premade account?

I believe godaddy has it set up with an ftp account and the server name is your domain name, user name and password are the same as used to sign into go daddy.

You can set up multiple ftp accounts but if your having trouble check and see if those settings wont work for you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    your right vapr_arts, i just overlooked it initially.

can anyone with experience in both linux and windows servers chime in on this?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Linux servers and Windows servers run different kinds of server-side software. That is software that is installed on the server (not on your computer) which processes the requests from the various browsers to serve the web pages.

In my case, Linux servers are better for what I do, since I use a lot of PHP and MySQL applications. Most OpenSource platforms such as WordPress, Joomla, and many e-commerce platforms also run well on Linux servers.

If you have specific needs for a Windows server, such as a need to run ASP or .NET, then go with Windows, but for a beginner like yourself I would say Linux servers offer more flexibility.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    well i had planned on using .net or my bigger sites when i get to that stage so it makes sense to start with windows.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    As I understand it, .NET is a framework on which several languages can operate.
    ASP.NET is one of those languages, as is VisualBasic.

That's about the extent of my knowledge - when it comes to server-side languages I'm a PHP MySQL person.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Actually, ASP.net is the framework. The languages are C#.NET, J#.net and VB.NET. I use VB.NET primarily, although I'm familiar with C#.NET was well.

Basically, you need a Windows server if you're using Windows-specific technologies to run your site. This isn't whether or not you use a Windows PC, but rather whether you use ASP.net or classic ASP or some other site technology to run it. As I said, I use VB.net so I use Windows servers.

Either way, GoDaddy hosting is junk. I'll say it a thousand times over...GoDaddy hosting is junk. Any hosting company that would lose a database does not deserve business. Decent registrar, horrible host.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    so .net is actually its own language, or there are variations of it? i never looked into it i just read somewhere that you can hide your page code from the public eye, that peaqued my interest. using a windows server still allows me to use html right?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Thanks, Game - I was hoping you'd chime in. I am much clearer now about the whole .NET thing. I don't use it, but I've been thinking about getting a copy of Visual Studio Express and checking it out.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coleio View Post
    so .net is actually its own language, or there are variations of it? i never looked into it i just read somewhere that you can hide your page code from the public eye, that peaqued my interest. using a windows server still allows me to use html right?
    .NET is a framework. C#, VB.net, and J#.net are the variations (generally used in that order, with J#.net being a very distant third).

You can use HTML on any server you like. The purpose behind a server-side language is that it allows you to connect to databases, perform calculations, send emails, and do other sorts of things with your site without showing the code behind it. That way, if I want to run a query to update a database record, I can hide that query inside of some server-side code and it wouldn't be seen by the average user, who doesn't need to know it's there in the first place.

HTML is a client-side language. That means it spits out code that everyone can see and that browsers can interpret. Server-side frameworks produce client-side code when they're built to do so.

Basically, HTML is output, server-side is programming. Greatly oversimplified, but it makes the point.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads