Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times

    How can I have search engines link my domain.com and domain.com/blog?

    Hi everyone,

    One of my new year's goals this year was to just touch the 1st page in Google for the keyword phrase "web design hawaii." I had totally been ignoring it because I was networking and getting work that way. But if I am going to list SEO as a skill of mine, I better be able to boost my site as proof. I was on page 6-7 in December. With a little backlinking and redo of my website to be SEO optimized, I now have my domain to page 4, touched the bottom of page 3 the other day but back to 4.

    Now, I think I am missing out on a HUGE SEO thing here: I don't have my /blog linked. You see, my domain is just an HTML file, while my blog is a Wordpress site. I wanted to keep them separate. Now, my problem is that I don't think I am getting the SEO credit from my /blog, because it gets thousands of hits a month, and has some exceptional backlinks.

    So my questions is this: how can I get search engines to recognize my /blog as part of my main domain? Do I have to do some xml sitemap manipulation?

  2.  

  3. #2
    WDF Staff mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    7,786
    Member #
    5580
    Liked
    723 times
    According to my Google search: hawaii web design
    You are on page 4 of Google results (out of 103 million).
    But your website URL is actually "ronswebsite.com".

    I see so many other Hawaii web design companies (or persons). It looks like you have to compete against many sites.

    One thing you may not realize is that each person that uses Google, for searching, for adsense, etc. will see different results. Google does a sneaky job of targeting specific things demographically. So eventually, for your search, you might be on page 1 of a Google search, but for me, it might be on page 3.

    If I were you, I would create a new website just for the blog (my opinion). You want them separate, so make them separate. That would solve your problem with the blog being in a sub-directory.


  4. #3
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,482
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2784 times
    Okay, Ron, you had to figure I was going to say something...so what I'm about to say shouldn't come as a shock.

    But here it is...your thinking's off. It's not your fault that it's off...it's the fault of the Danny $ullIvans and Aaron Walls of the world who create Big Lies that sound pleasing to the ear and spread them to the suggestible and ignorant, who in turn propagate the message until it becomes accepted. But your thinking's off.

    Let's start with ranking. Ranking doesn't matter for a term. Why? Max just showed you why, and I'm about to show you why as well. I personally see you on page 7 in about the middle. So you see yourself on page 3 or 4, Max sees you on page 4, and I see you on page 7. Ranking varies, and will vary even more as more people do the same search. Some people might see you on the first, some on the tenth, some not at all, and some at all points in between. So...ranking doesn't matter. Ranking is useless. It establishes...nothing. Unfortunately, most people think it does.

    Second, if you want your blog to be a part of your site, merge it with your site. You probably are missing out on some benefit by not doing so. Your blog's related to design, so merge the two "sites" into one. That way, everything feeds everything else.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  5. #4
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    According to my Google search: hawaii web design
    You are on page 4 of Google results (out of 103 million).
    But your website URL is actually "ronswebsite.com".

    I see so many other Hawaii web design companies (or persons). It looks like you have to compete against many sites.

    One thing you may not realize is that each person that uses Google, for searching, for adsense, etc. will see different results. Google does a sneaky job of targeting specific things demographically. So eventually, for your search, you might be on page 1 of a Google search, but for me, it might be on page 3.

    If I were you, I would create a new website just for the blog (my opinion). You want them separate, so make them separate. That would solve your problem with the blog being in a sub-directory.
    MSLEIM,

    Yes, I appear on page 4 too. When I look at search result, I use another browser, where I'm not logged in and get the geolocation bias. It's also why I am looking at the keyword "web design hawaii" and not just "web design."

    As for the blog, well, I don't want to make it separate because I want the SEO power and the backlinks and authority of the /blog to reflect on my main domain. Also, I'm really lazy and I don't want to move it :P.

    Thanks for your input. I usually see you on PHP threads.

  6. #5
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Okay, Ron, you had to figure I was going to say something...so what I'm about to say shouldn't come as a shock.

    But here it is...your thinking's off. It's not your fault that it's off...it's the fault of the Danny $ullIvans and Aaron Walls of the world who create Big Lies that sound pleasing to the ear and spread them to the suggestible and ignorant, who in turn propagate the message until it becomes accepted. But your thinking's off.

    Let's start with ranking. Ranking doesn't matter for a term. Why? Max just showed you why, and I'm about to show you why as well. I personally see you on page 7 in about the middle. So you see yourself on page 3 or 4, Max sees you on page 4, and I see you on page 7. Ranking varies, and will vary even more as more people do the same search. Some people might see you on the first, some on the tenth, some not at all, and some at all points in between. So...ranking doesn't matter. Ranking is useless. It establishes...nothing. Unfortunately, most people think it does.

    Second, if you want your blog to be a part of your site, merge it with your site. You probably are missing out on some benefit by not doing so. Your blog's related to design, so merge the two "sites" into one. That way, everything feeds everything else.

    Oh yeah, I was definitely expecting a response. I might just PM you next time instead of making a thread. LOL.

    Okay, I do understand ranking is relative. I don't think it doesn't matter though. It will vary from person to person and from search engine to search engine, but I'm just looking for better rankings specifically when people in hawaii are typing "web design hawaii" into Google.

    Again, this is mainly me putting my money where my mouth is. If I can get myself up to page 1, then that means that I know how SEO works. I can blog about it. I can use it as proof that I understand SEO to prospects. I can give myself a big pat on the back. By no means am I going to be making SEO a focus of my knowledge (I really want to focus on front end dev), but I still think it's important for any web contractor.

    Finally, I have multiple reasons for not combining my domain.com and domain.com/blog. I don't intend to combine them. I like them as separate things for now. I also like the quick HTML-site load time. I also like treating my home site like a testing ground. But I really want any SEO goodwill and backlinks from my blog to count towards my main domain in search results. That's what I originally was asking about. Any tips?

    Thanks for the input.

  7. #6
    WDF Staff mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    7,786
    Member #
    5580
    Liked
    723 times
    What you're doing is a tough business. The website design and development market is saturated.

    Hopefully you can offer something that others cannot ... doing that will cause clients to talk about you with other businesses.

    Good luck.


  8. #7
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    What you're doing is a tough business. The website design and development market is saturated.

    Hopefully you can offer something that others cannot ... doing that will cause clients to talk about you with other businesses.

    Good luck.
    Thanks.

    Yes, I know it's saturated and that's why I think it's a fun goal to shoot for 1st page. I know it can be done -- there's even this spammy black-hattish site that's actually on page 1 recently out of nowhere. The company isn't even in Hawaii. I took a look at his backlinks and a lot are from his own sites. Lots of onsite keyword stuffing. Lots of other questionable backlinks. I don't intend to stay on 1st page, but I just want a taste.

    As for sticking out, well, I try to let my website do the talking. When I first started out, I noticed that so many websites looked the same (Wordpress, slideshow, cheesy stock photos). I'm sure if you googled 'minnesota web design', you would probably see similar styles as well. I've had many people mention that my site is different and very clean. Very important point for me, as a solo team. Graphic designer websites are much nicer than mine, but thankfully, most of them aren't strong with SEO so they seem to get buried in results. Also, my secret weapon: I have Google Authorship on my side (the face thing in google search).

  9. #8
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,482
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2784 times
    But that's my point, Ron...you can't really "prove" anything by doing that. If I wanted to, I could make myself rank on the first page for that particular term just by targeting the phrase in the content, getting it just high enough so it can be seen in results, logging into a Google profile that I create for this purpose, and only clicking that result repeatedly until it becomes the first result "I" want to see. Then I can screen capture that and show it to "clients" who might be impressed by that. It only works for "my" profile, but again I'm trying to impress people.

    Where you prove it isn't when you "rank", but when people start finding you...especially when they start finding you and telling you that they can help you "rank". Let me give you an example of something from my bowling site. I'm going to start by (hopefully) showing you something that doesn't matter to show you something that does.

    https://www.google.ca/search?q=woodl...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

    Now, when I do that search in Firefox, strikespots.com shows up as the #4 result. In Chrome, it shows up as the #3 result. I don't know where exactly it will show up for you, but it should show up on the first page (or at the very least, the second). Where it shows up for you doesn't matter. Where it shows up for me doesn't matter. What does matter is that whenever it does show up, people click on it and get information. And what matters for you is that people click on the result, get information, and contact you. That is the only thing you should be focused on, and then and only then will you have put your money where your mouth is. Surprisingly, that weird little phrase is pretty popular and is the 10th most popular traffic generating phrase for strikespots.com on web and #6 on mobile (there are some others, but I'm not sharing them and I don't think anyone would believe a few of them anyway).

    If you want the links from your blog to count toward your main site, then you'll have to link the blog to your main site, which you're already doing (although I'd make the link more prominent). But remember that the SEO benefit from links is only a small part of the equation, contrary to published opinion. The real measure of the value of a link is in the traffic it generates to you.

    You also don't want to just focus on one phrase. You can be found under all sorts of things, including things you never would have thought of, with good content. You've got that. Just do more of the same. The more phrases you cover, the more likely you are to find customers.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Madurai
    Posts
    1
    Member #
    38276
    If you can integrate website with blog updation , you need to concentrate to design sitemap for that. Because you're in static domain for website URLs. if you integrate with blog into website means, you will aware about dynamic website URL creation on your website.Even you will design sitemap for those links updation with more frequentation. So Be aware that. if you create sitemap,make it manual not depends with tools for sitemap generation.

    I am loving to interact with more questions like that!


    Shiva Shakthi - SEO Executive in (edit: spammy link #1 removed by TheGAME1264)

    Kamalaminfotech Madurai -
    (edit: spammy link #2 removed by TheGAME1264)
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jan 24th, 2014 at 06:24 AM.

  11. #10
    WDF Staff mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    7,786
    Member #
    5580
    Liked
    723 times
    doh!

    @TheGame,
    Looks like we have an SEO Executive here. You might want to ask him/her some questions and learn a few things about SEO.



Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com