Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

putting friends on your hosting?

I have a friend I created a site for. He hasn't put the website online yet because he hasn't found a host. I am assuming he is low on cash as he is in school like me and just had to pay for tuition and more books. I already have hosting and I wouldn't have a problem adding his domain to my hosting until he can do it. I figure it will only be for about a month or so. Anytime after that and I will probably ask him for some form of help. My question is can he own the domain but use my hosting?

Once he is able to get his own hosting, is there a way I can get access to his cPanel without being signed in by his account? Like can he create an admin account of some kind? Or how can I help set up his account and all for him? At the moment he lives in Mississippi and I am in California so I am unable to just go over and help him until he comes back home.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Here's what I would do.

Go to cleverdot.com and buy him a webhost account with a domain name for $39.95 for one year. That's really cheap and he'll have one year to pay you back for what ends-up being 1/2 tank of gas. That $39.95 also includes a domain name.

CleverDot.com- Yearly Web Hosting & Domain Registration Since 2002

Trust me on this one. Do yourself and him a big favor and spend the little bit of money to keep the sites separate. If he never pays you back, you can let the account expire after the year, or keep it yourself and use it for something else.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    if its that big of a deal, Ill just let him upload it when he can. I just saw I can buy a domain from godaddy for less than $4 right now, and hosting wouldn't cost me anymore than Im already paying. for $4 its worth it for me to do it just to show my work off a little more until i can get my own site up. I have a lot more things I could spend $40 on.

But when this thought came to mind so did the other questions. Can I, or do I for that matter, help people set up things inside their cPanel? Things that aren't necessarily coding but still involve a little more knowledge than most of the people that you create sites for?

I have also considered resell hosting? What types of problems or things are involved if I was to get a hosting for resell? I have seen the option a few times just never put much thought into it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    To quote the great Bobby Heenan, "a friend in need is a pest".

You can go the route you want to with your friend, but it's a great way to destroy a friendship. If he doesn't pay you, you basically give him stuff for nothing. If you have the space to give and you don't mind then that's fine, but if you put yourself out of pocket in any way and he doesn't pay you that can lead to bad blood.

This is the biggest reason I never do work for friends or relatives. Clients that become friends after are the lone exception.

As far as your cPanel question goes, if you assign the friend's account as a sub account then you can override him using the primary account (usually the root account, but it can and often is called something different). You can resell hosting if you like, but then you're generally responsible for all support and upgrades and things of that nature. It's usually not worth the hassle.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    We're talking about $40 here. Even if he doesn't pay it back, it's worth not having him attached to your account. Just use the extra webhost account for something else, like a place to experiment with some scripting. Or, develop a site for someone else and sell the account.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I have a few other projects I'm working on at the moment. I was simply going to upload the site I have already been paid to create for him to my hosting. The domain is cheap at the moment and I'm pretty sure if i was to say hey, send me $5 and ill have your site up for a month or 2 until you can get your own hosting. He would send me the $5.

TheGame,

I agree with you, although since I am fairly new to all of this most of my clients are my friends while I'm in school. I will not do anything for them without getting paid 1st. This isn't much money, and won't cost me anything more than what I'm already paying for hosting.

I will just let him do it in his own time.

Remove Ads