Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

html the next step, buttons :)

so i just finished the free html and css course on a tuts site i got linked to. have a good understanding of how th basics work

so its easy enough to make a link to another page, image or file etc... but how do i make that link a button like at the top of the forum here? is that sum sort of javascript dealio when you press it it sinks down like an actual button?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    It's just CSS styling. If you set the link to display:block or display inline-block, you can give it a height/width and use other styling options on it. You can do this with almost any element.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Now you're getting into some CSS. It's CSS that can style the links using "hover" and other affects. Javascripting can also be used along with HTML and CSS. Keep going with the tutorials.

Learn HTML and CSS before you learn javascripting.

Then you'll be learning PHP .... that's a whole new ballgame.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yeah i knew i could change colour etc.. with the hover option but that doesnt make it actually look clickable does it? i mean when you click it and it presses down

i had thought a way it was done was by making an image of the button with the words on it and adding a link to that but must be wrong!!

im searching for the next relevant tutorial set for me, the one i just did was a 30 day one but in reality it was only about 4/5 hours

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    There are a couple of ways to do it ... which is like everything else about websites. There is usually more than one way to do the same thing. The method you choose depends on how you wish to code your site.

You can use CSS and hide/unhide <div> with a mouseover, or use JQuery, which is javacripting, or use javascripting "old school".

If you find a tutorial, or an example script, copy/paste it to a .txt file on your PC and then insert it into one of your HTML files and upload it to your website. Experiment and try different things that other people have showing on their examples. You will have to try things out for yourself so you can learn how it works. If it fails, try to figure out why by troubleshooting the script.

I realize you want to find a tutor that can teach you, but you'll learn the most by yourself and using examples shown on websites.

You have to fail many times to learn ... that's how it works.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yeah i get you ive been really impatient with it all so far but i have figured out some things on my own..

is this kind of thing called anything in particular or should i just google css button examples and tutorials? i have everything i need to build the site i have in mind barring this little tidbit.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I went to google and typed: css buttons

Here is one of the hits:
    CSS Buttons: Tutorials and examples | Webdesigner Depot

Remove Ads