Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

loop-based music website help

Hi,

I'm quite new to website development, so please forgive any noticeable naivety. So I want to build a simple website where viewers can click on text or graphic triggers to play short music loops that repeat indefinitely. It's part of a larger project, but this is the real tricky part.

The problem comes in, because I want the loops or "tracks" to combine as different triggers are clicked. Imagine an electronic music song, where each trigger can be one of its component parts (one button is the kick drum, another is the piano loop, another the bass, etc.)...and the website viewer can essentially assemble the song in real time, or disassemble it, as they see fit.

In order for this to happen without absolute trainwreck chaos, the loop needs to have some type of start-time quantization so it syncs up with all the other loops that might already be playing....if you know anything about how Ableton Live works, they call it "clip launch quantization." The basic idea is that when you hit the trigger for the loop to start playing back, it has a certain timed latency -- it waits to play until it's synchronized with a certain subdivision of the song's tempo (a 1/8 note, 1/4 note, full bar, etc.).

Hope that wasn't too confusing. But, in any case, if anyone had any insight on where I might want to start to program something like this, or even where to look to get more info, I'd be much obliged. I have Flash, but I don't know if that would best for something like this.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    I would say "Flash", only because I know of no other way to do what you're tying to do.

Native programming, like for a PC or Mac would be easy, but not when it involves the internet and browsers. The browser is the "deal-breaker" here. Web servers send packets of data to a user's browser and the browser renders it. Once the packet is sent, the browser is on its own. The user sees the webpage on their browser, but it resides on their PC or device once the server sends the packets of data. The server (webhost) then goes-off and does other things, like sending packets of data to another user that is viewing the same website.

That's where Flash, JQuery or javascripting comes in. Once the webpage is served, the client-side scripts, like Flash or javascripting can keep the webpage active with things happening. But it's happening locally on the user's computer or device. The webhost sends a program to the user's browser and a built-in executable program on the user's device runs the program. That's why the user has installed Flash and JAVA on their PC or device. The user has given the web server permission to automatically download and execute their scripts. Javascripting might be able to "sort-of" work, but the synchronization part would be really hard to do. Flash would be the only other way I can think of that would work.

Some devices, per manufacturer (like Apple or Amazon Kindle Fire), did not agree on a license or contract with Adobe to allow Flash to be installed on their device ... thus ... you can't run Flash on an Apple product. My Kindle Fire also does not display Flash. JAVA on the other hand is supported and installed on all devices.

But technically, another way, not having anything to do with the internet or browser, would be to create a Native App for the iPhone or Android, or a real executable program using C++ for a PC or laptop. Like Flash, you're creating a program that gets downloaded as one program and installed in the device, not packets of data transferred between server and browser.

Native Apps, like Flash require an actual programming platform, assembler, and executable file.

So my answer is still Flash, even though Flash isn't supported everywhere.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 25th, 2014 at 10:05 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    This might help:

Infinite Drunk Ron Swanson

Remove Ads