Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Trying to develop a good web design interface workflow.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Trying to develop a good web design interface workflow.

Need some guidance. I have been doing web design off and on over the years. I want to put more of my art and 3d into my designs. I use 3ds Max, Zbrush, etc... It seems everything is just responsive with solid colors and text and images and thats it. I want to be different and I want to make attractive websites. I have gotten into a bad habit of just using the Enfold theme on everything I do, I'm sick of it really. I want to get better. I have been reading web designer magazines, studying twitter bootstrap, trying to figure out what works best. I feel wordpress is slow most of the time, I think bootstrap is a more efficient solution. How can I go about creating responsive interfaces and adding in some animation here and there. I know there is different ways to do it. Like HTML Canvas, Jquery, etc. What is the best way to go about this? I hope to create my own responsive twitter bootstrap themes I am trying to get away from wordpress to have more control and less troubleshooting. I want to kind of bring back the days of the sites that used to wow us like Flash Forward type of sites.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Ok, first, Bootcrap and Wordpress aren't even the same kinda thing. Wordpress is a blogging platform, Bootcrap is a front-end framework. You can even use Bootcrap on a Wordpress site.

Second, all you need, from a front-end perspective is HTML/CSS/JS. You can do anything front-end just with those. If all you're doing is customizing a theme/template, and you're tired of doing that, try going from scratch. You don't need Bootcrap or any other craptastic, bloated framework, no matter what you've been led to believe. The fastest solution out there is one that contains only what you need, customized for that particular solution. And Wordpress? It doesn't have to be slow. Wordpress may not be the...snappiest CMS out there, but more often than not, it's a bloated theme that causes that. Downloaded themes are generally the worst, because they try to cover every possible situation they can think of with one theme, which leaves 99.9999% of users with a theme that loads 10 times the crap they need.

I'm here to help, though. Here in this thread, I'm going to paste my starter theme for Wordpress. It's fast, inherently responsive, and doesn't load anything you don't need. Here goes:
    HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
      <title></title>
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_url'); ?>" />
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>
    nufftalon and TheGAME1264 like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks so the code you posted is moreless html 5 doc with an embedding stylesheet. That part I get but not the php. I understand some php as it pertains to forms, and php includes but thats about it.

Is it beneficial for me to learn angular.js, node.js? I saw a course on udemy but not sure if it will help me or not. I just want to stop making plain boring websites and focus more on responsive interfaces so If I make a cool 3d interface ti will adjust accordingly. I guess all in all its finding that happy medium because it seems the days of making the mock up in photoshop are slowly fading. I believe I would need to make a background image as an svg file, since its scalable vector. I just want to make something uniqe and personal for my clients. I am sick of seeing cookie cutter websites everywhere.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nufftalon View Post
    Is it beneficial for me to learn angular.js, node.js?
    Angular? Meh. Node? Yes, but it won't help you with WP. Honestly, the best way to get going on WP, head over to css-tricks.com and find his video on the WP loop. I got a lot out of that, and it got me into actually learning PHP.

And the code I posted was laced with sarcasm. I was pointing out that I start from just basic HTML and build around it. The W3C really needs to get around to giving us a <sarcasm> tag.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Like I coded this website from scratch but its meh lol http://www.celebritychasecollision.com I don't necessarily need to make a wordpress theme. I just want to develop a better workflow when I have to do a job for a client . Like do you see how the interface is for celebrity chase collision? How would I go about doing that for todays standard and in keeping responsiveness in mind.

My own website is horrible but here it is

http://www.webdesignand3d.com

I need to redo it from scratch and make it look more business professional but show that I have skills in creating websites and logos and 3d assetts etc.

Thanks for the css-tricks I will definitely check it out.

Remove Ads