Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

when you started

when you started web design, did you, like me encounter every single problem there is along the way?

ive been trying to make a nav bar for the last 4 hours. ive tried 5 different tutorials and something goes wrong each time.
    ok so three of the tutorials were from 2006 or prior but i even had problems with the w3schools tutorial.

and to top it all off, my laptop is missing the o button, the shift button is just about welded into place and every time i type my thumb hits the touchpad and drops text in random places.

i would massively appreciate it if anyone can find me a good tutorial for making nav bars. i will actually find 50 of your posts and like each one of them!!!!

sorry for the rant haha

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    how about this?

https://tutsplus.com/course/effectiv...n-development/

whats another 4 hours like?........

fml

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    ok i came across this one, whats wrong with it?

i followed it exactly to the letter and its just showing stupud blue underlined text

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    The thing is, you don't really need a tutorial on building a nav bar. Just find a simple one, and inspect it. You'll be able to see all of the HTML and CSS applied to each element. Then try to recreate it yourself. In my opinion, it's a better way of learning than simply reading a tutorial.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    haha.. ok i may have misused the word tutorial, i tried 5 examples, played around with each of them with no luck. got pretty close with the w3schools one then that last one i postesoluted there did ab

im gonna search around for another hour if i dont get one working im gonna have to watch ll four hours :/

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Basic nav bars take a minute to wrap your head around, but once you do, it's cake.

The two things you have to remember that will save you lots of styling issues are:
    1. To style the links, apply the styles to the a tag. So many times, I've pulled my hair out wondering why I can't get a style to apply, only to realize I'm targetting the parent element. It would normally work for other elements, but a tags have default styles with a higher specificity.
    2. Specificity is important.
    nav a{
    has a higher specificity than
    a{

Keep those in mind as you work through, and you should do ok.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    ill give it a go again, got demoralised and for some reason decided to pick up a pen and paper.....
    .1794581_10203344443432235_972650591_n.jpg
    1510799_10203344450832420_1068104664_n.jpg
    in the interest of showing off and all, havent one in 8 years haha

Remove Ads