Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Templates - Mock sites

Member #

Templates - Mock sites

Hi All,

First post on the forum! So I am working for free with a group to create them a blogging/business based website. I have not done anything like this professionally. So i am seeking help from the experienced! I need a way to create a home page, well a few, to be able to show the clients options of how it can look.

Any suggestions on a program I should use?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    first step learn html and css. if you were building a house html and css are the walls. you can also create some pretty nie sites for displaying pictures, stories videos etc... with just html and css.
    if you want to have login capabilities study php, i think for what you want you will need to learn about content managment systems and databases.

javascript and jquery are also pretty good for creating imore interctive sites

good luck

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    @FNG05 ...

I get that you're starting-out and want to do a site for free to get some experience. Right from the start I'm going to give you some things to consider:

1) Let the client show you what they like. They can note other websites that look nice to them, or have the features they want. You are attempting to show them what their site can look like, that has to be the other way around. Getting them to take time to draw or explain their design ideas will give them some ownership and responsibility.

2) You create one homepage with a mock-up of the layout and ideas your client showed you. That's it. Do no more work than necessary. You need to get them to "OK" a site design and plan before you go any further. Create a written list of design requirements and the features the site must have. In writing, and a signed copy by you and them. Even if you do the work for free, go through those motions to learn how it feels to make a simple contract.

3) They MUST provide you with good graphics (like a logo), and other images, photos, etc. that can be used on their site. You cannot be responsible for their content. They have to provide the content.

4) They should subscribe to a webhost and domain name using their own credit card, not yours.

5) You're doing this for free, so they will expect you to take care of their site for the next 20 years ... for free. That was actually your first mistake, but you can't take it back now.

You take care of item 1, and then show us what their indicated layout, design, and features are going to be. Then we can answer your question about how to approach the actual website creation, front-end, back-end, etc.

Until then, there is nothing we can do that will help you show something to your client.
    Last edited by mlseim; Feb 02nd, 2014 at 04:07 PM.
    FNG05 likes this.

Member #
    Hey! thanks for the reply.

I should clarify that they do not want me to work for free. They feel as though how can they feel confident Ill make deadlines if i have no incentive to do so. So I will be asking what the pay scale is for something like I am doing but I will first post what it is I have done before I ask.

They have already provided graphics, and how they want the page to look just in discussion and drawing on note pad and also shared some sites they like the lay out of.

It's a pretty standard blogging site I think, Logo and links at the top. blogging down the center of the page. links on the left and room for advertising on the right.

They've registered a domain name on godaddy.com and are working on granting me access to work on it.

What I am unsure of is what program I can use to create a "webpage" that is not live on the internet. I'm imagining something like Microsoft word, however its a "webpage"? What program can I use to create something like that, or whats the terminology I am looking for? I imagine there is something out there where I can design a page and make it go live, or leave it on the computer.

I guess the simplest way to put it is- how do I show you their indicated layout, design and features?
    Last edited by FNG05; Feb 02nd, 2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: rather than posting again...

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    You will have to install WAMP, PHP, MySQLi on your PC. You'll need to have your own server to run server-side scripting (like PHP).

If you don't have a clue on how to create a website and get it put online, you should not be taking-on a project like this. If they registered a domain name on GoDaddy, did they also subscribe to a webhost account? Those are two different things. The domain name can point to any website, the webhost account is actually where the website is stored and served from.

Creating a blog from scratch (in my opinion) is a bad idea ... unless ... you're really interested in learning to program (script) and you have a lot of time on your hands. Perhaps you'll have learned how to do PHP/MySQLi and you're willing to "maybe" finish it by the end of 2014.

You can't show us much of anything without having something online. A screenshot isn't going to do much for us. Making a page that has some content on it is not the same as a working website with dynamic content, content management, a database, an admin control panel, a user page, etc.

Have them subscribe to a real GoDaddy webhost account, install WordPress (for free), pick a theme that is close to what they like, and customize it. This method will still require HTML, CSS, PHP experience, but you'll have a site completed much faster. Maybe you'll be done by May 1st doing it this way?

If you don't have a clue what PHP is, I suggest you hire someone to help you.

.... and I'm not trying to discourage you or patronize you. I'm being real. You can learn how to do all of it on your own using free online tutorials and using Google to search for scripts. It will just take you a lot of time to learn if you have no previous experience. If you wish to "go for it", then do it. You won't regret it, but realize you might not be done with their site until the end of 2014.
    Last edited by mlseim; Feb 03rd, 2014 at 05:34 AM.

Remove Ads