Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

No access to domain yet

Hi All-

I need some help on being able to create a mock-up to present a client. My initial research has yielded tools like Skeleton and wordpress. However, wordpress requires an installation on the domain.

It is primarily a blog site that I am creating, and simple.

Has anyone had an experience with Skeleton? Any other recommendations?

I'm looking to produce something to show to the clients and if they like it, re-create it so its becomes the actual webpage.

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Here's what I would do ...

You should already have your own website for developing scripts and pages for yourself. Your website is for you to create a portfolio, a way to contact you, and a place to experiment (like a sandbox).

To make something to show your client ...

Go to a cheap webhost like cleverdot.com and subscribe to a new website for $40. Install WordPress, upload a WP theme that fits what your client is looking for, and use that website as your example to show the client. You can actually use that website as your development platform to do the complete website for the client. When they approve, you export the whole thing to their website. Then, you have your development site emptied-out for your next project.

If they don't approve, or decide to back-out, you own that development site, and they can't steal or copy your scripts. It's yours until you export everything to someone else's website. Your personal website remains untouched and not related to your development site.

I have about 3 websites now that I pay for each year. i use one as my personal site, and the others for developing scripts for clients. The $200 per year I pay for keeping all of my sites and domain names is well worth the investment. It's all part of doing business, and I pass the costs to my clients.
    Last edited by mlseim; Feb 02nd, 2014 at 08:52 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    For simple mock-ups, I would normally use Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. I wouldn't use Wordpress as that would involve designing the actual site already rather than prototyping.

Of course Illustrator / Photoshop are not great if you want to show off a responsive design.

Remove Ads