Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question do I have to own a domain to make a website?

This is my first time learning to design websites, and I'm planning to attend Full Sail University for the program.

however I don't get the basic concept of website designing.

1 .Am I allowed to make a domain like "www._______.com" any time I want to for myself, or am I supposed to buy one?

2. If i do buy or make one, is it permanent?

3. also, if I do make a domain or own a domain, how would I be able to edit it and program it if I want to upgrade the website?
    its not like there is ID and PW for administrators for the website, does the domain get linked to a specific IP address and when someone uses the IP to log on, are they allowed to edit the website or something?

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    There are two separate accounts you create (you pay for online using a credit card) ...

1) Domain name. This account is purchased from a domain host. You pay for it by the year (or multiple years). It has to be domain name not yet taken. Once you have it, you can point the domain name to any website. It is yours forever as long as you keep the account paid and current.

2) Website account. This account is from a webhost (or shared webhost), such as GoDaddy. Again, you pay by the year (or multiple years). You can access your website without a domain. Accessing without a domain requires a URL such as godaddy.com/~andrewkim

So to have a nice, clean URL, like andrewkim.com, you would need to purchase that domain name.
    Of course, most easy to remember domain names are already taken (such as andrewkim.com)

Many webhosts offer BOTH accounts at the same time.

Some people argue that it's not a good idea to purchase your domain name from the same host as your website. That's entirely up to you. I've never had any issues with doing that.
    Last edited by mlseim; Feb 06th, 2014 at 02:47 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    There are two separate accounts you create (you pay for online using a credit card) ...

1) Domain name. This account is purchased from a domain host. You pay for it by the year (or multiple years). It has to be domain name not yet taken. Once you have it, you can point the domain name to any website. It is yours forever as long as you keep the account paid and current.

2) Website account. This account is from a webhost (or shared webhost), such as GoDaddy. Again, you pay by the year (or multiple years). You can access your website without a domain. Accessing without a domain requires a URL such as godaddy.com/~andrewkim

So to have a nice, clean URL, like andrewkim.com, you would need to purchase that domain name.
    Of course, most easy to remember domain names are already taken (such as andrewkim.com)

Many webhosts offer BOTH accounts at the same time.

Some people argue that it's not a good idea to purchase your domain name from the same host as your website. That's entirely up to you. I've never had any issues with doing that.
    but if I'm working as freelancer going around making websites for clients, and make about 5 websites for separate companies or groups, do I have to pay for the 5 different websites that i've created through domain name each year, or

is it like this :

I create just one domain account, and i can use that account to create many websites as I want with an unused domain name?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkim9711 View Post
    but if I'm working as freelancer going around making websites for clients, and make about 5 websites for separate companies or groups, do I have to pay for the 5 different websites that i've created through domain name each year, or

is it like this :

I create just one domain account, and i can use that account to create many websites as I want with an unused domain name?
    No.. Every domain costs you something. Designing websites do not require you to buy domains or web hosting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    In most cases you can host multiple sites from one hosting account though (this depends on your hosting provider, so ask them before you commit). You can then link any additional domain you buy to that same web host. If you plan to host many domains on one account it might be worth going for a VPS (Virtual Private Server) but for only five sites you would be okay with a standard hosting account.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    In short, no you don't need a domain name to make a website. You can also set up a "virtual" domain through the use of web server software (things like XAMPP for Windows, MAMP for Mac), although those would only be accessible to you locally.

With that said, you probably should get one at some point if you get serious about offering web services.

If you're just getting started however, and just testing around, it's not necessary to purchase any domains or web hosting. You just need a computer (hopefully that's a given).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Web Design View Post
    In short, no you don't need a domain name to make a website. You can also set up a "virtual" domain through the use of web server software (things like XAMPP for Windows, MAMP for Mac), although those would only be accessible to you locally.

With that said, you probably should get one at some point if you get serious about offering web services.

If you're just getting started however, and just testing around, it's not necessary to purchase any domains or web hosting. You just need a computer (hopefully that's a given).
    hm.. i do not understand.

What I'm planning to do after I graduate college and get the degree is to work at a company for website designing, while I do some free lance for many people that needs websites for their small business. When I'm at work or at home I'm going to design and develop the website for the business I'm designing for.

my main question is, "if I make a website for many different companies and individuals, would I need to be the one to pay for the domain yearly, or once I make the website I'm done?"

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    If you are making a website for a company (or an individual), it will be very likely that each one will want a domain name of their own. They will also require a hosting account, which is basically rented space on a server somewhere so the files for the website can be accessed over the internet. Whether or not you arrange for these things for your client, wil depend on whatever arrangement you come to with them.

I think also, you may well find, that if, after graduation, you are working for a company and designing and developing sites as an employee for that company, that you will most likely have to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) and probably also a non-compete agreement. I have worked for several web design companies/studios, and they have all had agreements in place that their employees are not permitted to freelance (compete with them) while under their employ.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads