Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Domain importance

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Domain importance

How important is having the right domain name? I have a project im working on and im having trouble with selecting the right domain.. The domain I want isnt being used but its at auction for an incredibly high price.. Last time i checked it was around 10k so thats definitely out the question! Its 2 words and the domain with a - between the 2 words is available for a cheaper cost.. But im not really fond of having - in a URL..

Would you change the name/domain completely? Use the - domain? Or what options do i have?

My project is a gaming community with a forum and some other features.. I wont give off much more info other than that. Just giving this info in case it will help with the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Don't use a hyphenated domain if you can avoid it. That's an old "SEO" trick and Google launched an algorithm update recently to combat that exact type of thing.

As long as you can come up with something memorable and available, it really doesn't matter what you come up with. So I'd go the "think of another name" route.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Don't use a hyphenated domain if you can avoid it. That's an old "SEO" trick and Google launched an algorithm update recently to combat that exact type of thing.

As long as you can come up with something memorable and available, it really doesn't matter what you come up with. So I'd go the "think of another name" route.
    That is probably what I will do, I have not started any branding work so the name isn't an issue.

What about the different extensions like .net and such? Are .com more valuable because its so widely used and remembered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    It depends on what your goals are with the domain. Personally, I usually recommend some combination of .com and regional TLD if it's important (e.g. .ca, .co.uk, .co.in). But for a general site, a .com is generally the way you want to go...it's too entrenched in people's minds.

That's why I laughed my *** off at the list of new TLDs that was released a while back. I don't think any of them will take over .com now.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Domain importance

They're are search tools to search for similar domain names. I can't remember which one I used but you should be able to find one with a google search. When you buy the domain make sure you use namecheap or something like that. I made that mistake and accidentally bought mine with dreamhost.

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    You didn't by chance take this domain name yourself? vaprarts.com

If you did, nice grab.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It depends on what your goals are with the domain. Personally, I usually recommend some combination of .com and regional TLD if it's important (e.g. .ca, .co.uk, .co.in). But for a general site, a .com is generally the way you want to go...it's too entrenched in people's minds.

That's why I laughed my *** off at the list of new TLDs that was released a while back. I don't think any of them will take over .com now.
    I was able to come up with an alternative TLD. I just replaced one word with another word and it worked out, actually like it a little better so I'm happy I didn't grab the 1st name that came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbehan View Post
    They're are search tools to search for similar domain names. I can't remember which one I used but you should be able to find one with a google search. When you buy the domain make sure you use namecheap or something like that. I made that mistake and accidentally bought mine with dreamhost.
    I already have a way of searching for domain names, I own a few as well already..

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    You didn't by chance take this domain name yourself? vaprarts.com

If you did, nice grab.
    I did, its not anywhere being ready to go up yet. I was planning on making it a portfolio site for my school work for when I try and get into a university. I got way ahead of myself though and did not quiet think about how small my portfolio will be this early on.. So its all in development.. right now I just use it to test things.

just curious why was it a nice grab?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post

just curious why was it a nice grab?
    I'd say it was a nice grab because it's short. Also it's a .com.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    What Sean said. If you can get a .com that's less than 10 characters long, you've done well.

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    I assume Vapr_Arts is "Vapor Arts" (expanded fully)?

You've established your user name on this forum (an maybe others). Now you have a place to build a portfolio and a place to direct us when you have a question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads