Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Contacting potential clients

While looking for a Handgun class I found the only gun range in my area with a website has terrible website! Its a static website, the design is horrible! Whoever designed it was not a designer! The navigation is litterally in the middle of the page and it doesnt even resemble a a menu! It looks like a giant list.

Id like to talk to them about upgrading their site, but as of now I am still working on my site and have no real way of showing them anything I have done. I thought they may be not take that too seriously.

I thought about just spending the time and creating the site, probably only take a few hours based on how simple the current site is, but do I want to waste time on something that is not guaranteed? So i thought about creating a psd of how the site would look, since its mostly a design issue with their site. Whats the best way to go since i do not have my site up? Create the whole html/css? Just a psd? Or wait until my site is finished?

Also, how do you tell someone that their site is ugly! What if the owner created it or some loved family member? Should i point out some of their minor functionality issues? Point out the major design flaws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The short answer is "you don't." Regardless of what you think of the site or how you think you can improve it, you don't. Even if every neural synapse is telling you "contact these guys because I can help them", don't.

Why? Here are some reasons:

1) You don't know if the person you contact is the person that built it, and if (s)he may take offense to it.
    2) You found the website. The website owners didn't find you. That means in spite of the design issues you may see, they have to be doing something right and anything you do to improve the site may harm their search engine visibility (I'm assuming you found them via search).
    3) Chances are pretty good you aren't the first person or the last that will have contacted the person. I see several of these requests a day, from "we can build your site better" to "improve your social media visibility...did you know Justin Bieber (singer) bought his first million followers? You'd be a complete idiot not to buy our followers too". You're not going to stand out under those circumstances.

If you want to get in and redo the site, the best thing you can do is take the handgun class, be a good customer (translation: loyal, paying, and not a PITA), and mention what you do for a living after a few months or so. That way, you're not just a guy trying to make a quick buck...you've shown you're a good customer.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    That makes sense and thats what i was worried about when mentioning the site is bad. I really assume that it was made in house..

I did sign up for the class, i actually have gotten a whole group of us to go out there. I did not find them through a search engine! Well i found their Facebook in a search engine and from there found their site, i checked their keywords and even tried searching google with them to see if it would pop up and it wasn't found for me.

I will probably do what you suggested. I planned on taking a few of their classes as well as becoming a member at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads