Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Word Press or Other Web building softwares

Member #

Word Press or Other Web building softwares

Hi everyone. From the title im sure everyone knows by now that i am new to web designing. I am planning to create a website similar to apartments.com but for a closed group of people.
    I came across wordpress and i wasnt sure if thats the right way to start my website.
    Can someone tell me the pros and cons of building a website through wordpress than dreamweaver or CS6 other than the fact that you dont need to know HTML for Wordpress.
    I am sorry if i am reposting this topic but i tried my level best to search the topic and failed at it
    Thank you in advance for your help

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    WordPress isn't a web page editor, it's a CMS (content management system). And yes, with WP you should (or need to know) some HTML, CSS and even some PHP would be a good idea.

The answer to your question depends on who owns and operates and updates the actual apartment database. Where does that database reside?

My gut feeling tells me that you will be looking for a custom/dedicated system just for your use. Not an easy job for a beginner.

Member #
    I will have to create the database for the apartment listing. and since this is for a closed group it wont have as much as data as aparments.com or other house search websites. i would say maximum of 50 apartments to start off with and then as the database increases i would include more apartments. And this is not for just my use but open to public (again closed set of people).
    So are you saying to create the database first and then build the website ?

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I would create the database first if it were me.
    Then the PHP scripts to add,edit,delete (admin functions).
    Then the PHP script that does the actual queries (the user functions).

You can actually get the database part going and working on it's own page, all by itself. Let people test it for you while you work on the rest of the website.

Draw out all of your database tables on paper to begin with. Determine which tables contain which data, and how the columns will be organized.
    ramakrishnavbms likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I would create the database first if it were me.
    Then the PHP scripts to add,edit,delete (admin functions).
    Then the PHP script that does the actual queries (the user functions).

You can actually get the database part going and working on it's own page, all by itself. Let people test it for you while you work on the rest of the website.

Draw out all of your database tables on paper to begin with. Determine which tables contain which data, and how the columns will be organized.

Thank you so much for the guidance.
    To end with after the database should i use WP itself or build a website from scratch uusing any web development tools..
    I am still not clear about the differences on both ...

Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    WordPress can be the framework for a website. It has the templates, content editor, media library, plugins, etc. You only need to find a nice template and then customize it. You'll also need to customize the apartment database and scripts into WordPress. This still requires programming experience. And it's a WordPress site ... boring as usual.

Dreamweaver is a web page builder, editor. Once you create your site on your PC using Dreamweaver, you upload it to your website. That's it. You have no online content management. You need to do ALL of the required server-side scripting from scratch. You're basically creating a website yourself.
    ramakrishnavbms likes this.

Remove Ads