Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shanuea
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: How to get my website to list on search

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

How to get my website to list on search

So it's up and running, I've put in meta tags, a descriptive title but even when typing in the exact title of my website it doesn't appear at all on google.

Am I missing some crucial step?

website is here:

Shaun Wilson Graphic Design Brisbane
    james_marsh likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It comes up when I search for it.

Iits just a case of building a few links and submitting it to a few search engines, also submit to webmaster tools and submit a sitemap

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    It can take a couple of days to a couple of weeks for Google to index your site. Submitting your sitemap to Google Webmaster tools will normally help speed the process up.

You can check if Google has indexed your site by searching for "site:shaunwilson.com.au". It appears that your site has been indexed by Google. Doing some on-page SEO might help you rank higher (you could start with adding some headings using relevant keywords).

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by softqubetechnologies View Post
    Hey, i have done a general analysis of your site, there are many things that you must have to consider, but you didn't give an extra effort to do that, and if you are continue to do avoid those issues, it may harm your site even more, so get analyzed your site and make the changes as per the requirement.

For more help you can revert back. Good Luck
    Annnnnnnnnnnnd thank you for nothing, India.

With that said, let's get down to bidness. First things first...ranking doesn't matter. It doesn't. Whether or not you see yourself for a keyword or phrase doesn't amount to a hill of beans. I'll see something different. Medlington will see something different. You'll see something different. That's just how ranking works. So it's a pointless metric.

What matters is whether or not you see referral traffic from search engines and for what. This is where the structure of your site comes into play; specifically, the fact that it's a one-page scrolling parallax trendish site. One-page sites traditionally don't perform very well in search engines simply because they lack content. You also have to figure that you're targeting a phrase (graphic design) that is closely related to web design. That means that you're competing against all the graphic designers and at least some of the web designers in Brisbane, Australia. Given that the population of Brisbane is about 2 million, that's going to lead to both significant quality and quantity of competition.

This is where content comes into play. You want as much unique, quality content on your site as you can reasonably put onto it in order to give yourself a broader search presence and pick up converting traffic for keywords and phrases you may never have thought of. Now, what you put on there has to be original and creative, so that's up to you...I can't give you that answer. But that's what you want to look at.

You'll also want to look at document structure...specifically usage of h tags. Use h tags both for semantic reasons and for search reasons (semantic comes first and search will organically follow if you do it right).

Basically, you need to think less like a graphic designer and more like a content creator.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Basically, you need to think less like a graphic designer and more like a content creator.

Thanks. I've linked where possible the images on the site to places like Pinterest, and behance. I've put some free ads on gumtree etc linking back to the site. Submitting my site to google as someone suggested.

I'll upload more images later on, and maybe a second page with more details on service or something.

The more images the better??

Not sure how H tags come into it, but I'll try and look into that.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    First things first...ranking doesn't matter. It doesn't. Whether or not you see yourself for a keyword or phrase doesn't amount to a hill of beans. I'll see something different. Medlington will see something different. You'll see something different. That's just how ranking works. So it's a pointless metric.
    That's new information to me. If everyone sees different results for the same keywords, then where does ranking factor in and how does Google for instance decide where to place your results if they're not the same as my results? I assumed that location factors in this in some way but other than that I had assumed that search results are relatively universal for a given search phrase...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    They aren't. You're right...location is a factor. So is personalization...if you're logged in and clicking on certain results over and over again, Google will present those results to you more frequently over time. Desktop vs. mobile will deliver different results as well. There are a whole bunch of other factors, but there are a few.

That's why referral traffic matters and ranking doesn't.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    That makes sense, but I would assume that ranking (i.e., Pagerank) is still an important factor even though there are other factors at play as well. If Pagerank would not matter at all, much of what SEO does and talks about would be nothing but hot air (which a lot of it is I admit, though not all of it).

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djitsz View Post
    That makes sense, but I would assume that ranking (i.e., Pagerank) is still an important factor even though there are other factors at play as well. If Pagerank would not matter at all, much of what SEO does and talks about would be nothing but hot air (which a lot of it is I admit, though not all of it).
    Most of it is, brother. It took me about 4 years to figure out that most of what is populated throughout the SEO world only half-passes the ear-nose test (it sounds GREAT, but it fails the smell portion). The SEO community either comes up with concepts or takes ones that were used in the real world, overuses them, abuses them, distorts them, and eventually scorches them into the earth. I'd say about 99.5% of it is complete air, and that's a conservative estimate on my part.

Take "article marketing" for example. Article marketing as a concept isn't a bad one...write some useful content, get it published somewhere, and get some traffic based on your expertise. Makes sense on the surface. Unfortunately, SEOs took the concept, merged it with PageRank (more on that in a bit), added things like "article spinning" and "posting to thousands of article directories aka article farms" worldwide, wrote millions and millions of sheer nonsense articles about "why you should have a website" and "why you should write articles for ranking on search engines" and filled the Internet with sheer garbage all in the name of "ranking more highly". They completely forgot that the reason to "rank highly" is to get traffic, traffic that could just as easily have been acquired by people linking to a site based on knowledge and expertise, and turned it into a nightmare.

PageRank: same thing. I think if Google could have one mulligan, they'd pick "telling everyone that PageRank exists and the general formula". I don't even think they would have filed a patent. Again, an idea that made sense...pages that receive links from other pages are in theory editorial vouches for the content within. That got turned into "get links from anywhere you can get links from for SEO ranking", again ignoring that the value of a link is in the traffic it generates. Article farms, low-grade directories, "dofollow", "guest blogging for SEO", designer and / or marketer credit links in the footer of clients' sites, and a whole bunch of other stupidity followed. By the way, none of these activities are "SEO" activities...SEO relates to optimization, and that which cannot be controlled cannot be optimized.

That isn't to say that PageRank isn't a factor. It is. No one disputes that..at least no one with any semblance of intelligence. The problem with that statement is twofold:

1) External PageRank (i.e. toolbar PageRank) isn't a factor. It's not used anywhere in the calculation of rankings, and is shown as an approximate guide only. The only value that it has is in the minds of the SEO wannabes who have turned it, Alexa rank, Compete ranking, and several other junk metric rankings into a unit of currency.

2) (repeating myself) The value of a link isn't in its PageRank, but in the traffic it generates. There's no way to tell if a link has any search engine benefit whatsoever; there are only ways to tell if it doesn't. So why waste the time to try to figure out how much, if any, benefit Google places on a link? Too much trouble for too little (at best) reward.

If you want to evaluate whether SEO advice is good or not, consider these things objectively:

1) Is the advice isolationist in its nature? In other words, does the advice apply if SEO exists in a vacuum (which it doesn't)?

2) Is the advice strictly vested interest advice and / or did you read it on a forum such as Warrior Forum or Black Hat SEO forum, or anywhere else that promotes get-rich-quick mentality thinking?

3) If you saw someone else integrating the advice and you did a search and saw that person's site in your results, would you potentially report the tactic to Google? And if you did so, would they potentially act on it?

4) Does the person giving the advice appear to be regurgitating advice given by others without really understanding it?

If any of the answers to these questions is "yes", then you want to run screaming. Like I said, a lot of it sounds just fantastic...I wish I had the ability and the lack of integrity required to write things that sound so pleasing and cater to the disenfranchised and morality impaired. It doesn't pass an objective smell test, though.

Remove Ads