Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: would web design/developing career ever be terminated?

Member #

would web design/developing career ever be terminated?

I'm a high school student interested in web design/developing. Soon i'm going to go to a college to get the web design degree.

I have one thing in mind, would the career last long?

programs like Adobe Muse CC is being made and coding is becoming less needed. (in my opinion)

in the near future, wouldn't all the people that's in web designing/developing just use those kind of programs which doesn't require coding to create a website? If that'll be the case, what's the point of learning to code?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Won't happen for one simple reason...websites, as in good ones, will always need to be customized. If you learn to code...really learn it...then you'll be safe. I'm not talking HTML code, either...I'm talking about server-side programming.

The WYSIWYG programs out there generate bloated, useless code and I doubt they'll ever replace proper hand-coded HTML.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Won't happen for one simple reason...websites, as in good ones, will always need to be customized. If you learn to code...really learn it...then you'll be safe. I'm not talking HTML code, either...I'm talking about server-side programming.

The WYSIWYG programs out there generate bloated, useless code and I doubt they'll ever replace proper hand-coded HTML.
    does that also mean Adobe Muse CC will never be able to replace the web design industry?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    No one tool will ever "replace" the industry. A lot of people are wailing all of a sudden because of tools like Squarespace, Muse or Macaw. It's all crap. There will always be the DIY business owners. Those owners will continue getting nothing from their websites. Want to be more valuable than a piece of crap WYSIWYMG (the M is for "might")? Offer something they don't. Like Game said, server-side, but also real front-end work those programs will never be able to do.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    No one tool will ever "replace" the industry. A lot of people are wailing all of a sudden because of tools like Squarespace, Muse or Macaw. It's all crap. There will always be the DIY business owners. Those owners will continue getting nothing from their websites. Want to be more valuable than a piece of crap WYSIWYMG (the M is for "might")? Offer something they don't. Like Game said, server-side, but also real front-end work those programs will never be able to do.
    how about websites like Wix.com?

they do everything from designing to buying the domain to make a website.

if there are websites like this, what's the point of having programmers and designers, anyway?

I'm a student willing to become one but if there are websites like this that will terminate the necessity of web designers that's not good.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Design is about solving problems. Sites like Wix and the others I mentioned above only solve the problem of not having a website. What that website does is a wholly different story. That's where the designers/developers come in. We give sites purpose and actual function.

WYSIWYG isn't new. It's been around since the mid 90s. If it hasn't made us obsolete by now, it won't any time soon.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Feb 17th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I currently have had three clients who came to me in frustration after trying WIX. These are business people, who know how to value their time. If it takes them hours to figure out how to use WIX to make a cookie-cutter site that sucks at SEO, they realized that they are better off hiring a pro to do the job.

Business people are generally smart enough to know that they hire a pro to be their accountant, their lawyer, etc. So hiring a pro to create (and often to maintain) their website makes the same kind of sense.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkim9711 View Post
    how about websites like Wix.com?

they do everything from designing to buying the domain to make a website.

if there are websites like this, what's the point of having programmers and designers, anyway?

I'm a student willing to become one but if there are websites like this that will terminate the necessity of web designers that's not good.
    You can also build a house out of Lego, but in most cases it's not something you'd want to live in. Good for pretend stuff, but not for anything practical.

Wix.com is a Lego house.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare View Post
    I currently have had three clients who came to me in frustration after trying WIX. These are business people, who know how to value their time. If it takes them hours to figure out how to use WIX to make a cookie-cutter site that sucks at SEO, they realized that they are better off hiring a pro to do the job.

Business people are generally smart enough to know that they hire a pro to be their accountant, their lawyer, etc. So hiring a pro to create (and often to maintain) their website makes the same kind of sense.
    what are the differences though?

designers and developers design and write codes for the website and then buy a domain for the website.

Wix lets you do the same thing from designing to getting the domain and running it.
    I mean this is only what I think since I don't know much about web designing since i'm just starting to get it.

I have one thing I'm not sure of..
    how does this web design/developing work from the start to finish?

1. design the website with photoshop
    2. program it with code to make it work like a website not just a picture
    3. buy a domain name from places like host gator (and pay monthly for the domain)
    4. use the design that you designed and connect it to the domain

is this how it works, or do web designers have a different way to make their websites?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    There's really one big difference...designers design and developers code / program.

You're missing a very big, very key aspect in all of this...what you see as far as the output and code of a wix.com website is concerned is not all that goes into a wix.com website. There are aspects such as databases, payment processing (wix.com charges monthly and has to get paid), the tools wix.com gives people to build their site...those have to be developed, or coded. Not all of that code is visible, either. The stuff that isn't is called server-side programming, and it's where 99.9% or more of the work associated with a good website is performed and it's the part that gets about 5% of the credit.

Take Google, for example. When you do a Google search and you see all of those results and how they vary. You don't see all of the code that retrieves and sorts all of the search results and ranks them...you don't see the algorithms...you don't see anything except your 10 results.

By the way, your thinking of "a career that won't be terminated" is all wrong, albeit all too common (so not really your fault). If you're good enough at something, the only way in which your career will be terminated is if you're rendered obsolete. It's not about "where the industry goes" but where you go. If you're good at web design and development, it'll be many many many many many years before that ever happens, if at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads