Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Computer science student looking for guidance

Hello there!

I will be beginning a 4-year project that will ultimately end up being my professional portfolio. Although I am in no way a web developer, I can comprehend the basics (I took a web design class in high school). I intend to make a web site that is modern with fluid (but not distracting) animations, that will showcase various things that would be in a portfolio. I understand that I will have to learn a lot to make this happen, and thus it will be my project until (or even after) I graduate.

Although I want the website to be fancy, the most important thing is that it works. I want it to be fluid across all platforms. This also means I don't want to use flash. I'd rather stick with HTML, CSS and javascript. And perhaps there are other technologies that I don't know about? I'm just starting out, and any guidance would be very much appreciated.

I'm also at a loss for graphics. Although I'm a quick learner and I could attempt my own graphics, I might be better off working with someone more experienced.

TL;RA (too long read anyway) Where should I begin? Should I start with research or jump in and start figuring things out? Would I be better off using an IDE (such as dreamweaver) or sticking with a dedicated text editor like TextMate? Are there any suggestions you could give me?

If it helps, I'll be developing on a 2013 Macbook Air as well as a late 2012 iMac.

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Hats-off for diving into it.

You do realize that what you're doing (creating the web pages, design, layout) is only 1/2 of it. If the website will be anything more than just some static pages of info, you will be required to use: PHP, MySQLi, JQuery (javascripting), AJAX, possibly ASP.net and whatever else it takes to make a website that actually does something.

This website you're on now (webdesignforums) is an example of what I mean. It's all PHP and MySQL and everything else it takes to make it dynamic.

So with what you described, you can make a website with web pages. That's about it. There will be no forms, database, or anything else 'server-side'.

Just so you know what you're getting into.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    To create a BASIC site you only need HTML/CSS.

To create a site that is more up to date you will need HTML/CSS and Javascript along with server side languages like PHP and MySQL for databases.

I would not use dreamweaver or software that do any of the coding for you. They may seem like an easier alternative but the truth is they are a bigger headache than help. The code it writes does not always work. If you do not know how to code you will be frustrated when something goes wrong. I personally use Adobe Code. You can find the open source version of that called Brackets online.

Member #
    Thanks very much for the replies!

I figured there would be more to it. From my understand, PHP is the main component that allows your website to have user accounts (something that I'm not interested in). But I'm not stupid, I understand that it is a fully developed language that has many other important uses. I just don't know what they are yet. As for MySQL, I've heard of it, not sure what it does yet. I'm definitely willing to learn and use these components though. This is a long-term project after all. :P

As far as my suggestion to use Dreamweaver, I'm not interested in using it for its WYSIWYG function. In fact, when I was using it in high school, it annoyed the crap out of me. I would mainly want to use it to stay engrossed in the code part and then press a button to quickly see what it would look like on a web page (without going through the same repetitive steps every time).

I'll definitely look into Adobe Code. From my brief google search, it looks like something worth my time. :P

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Adobe edge code is just the paid version of Brackets.

The reason i like it and feel you would to is it does what you want dreamweaver to do, and doesn't do what you don't want dreamweaver to do..

What i mean by that is, there is a feature called live preview that will allow you to see how the site will look, the difference with this and Dreamweaver's design view is that it is synced with Chrome. It will actually show you how a browser interprets your code. Where dreamweaver will show you how it interprets your code, and usually what you see in dreamweaver isn't what a browser will show. Not to mention its running off a browser so unlike Dreamweaver you will be able to see how more than just your HTML/CSS is looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Awesome. Is there a big enough difference between Adobe Edge Code and Brackets that I would want the paid version? And is there a way to do the live preview with other browsers, not just chrome?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I am a member of creative cloud so Adobe Edge Code was already being paid for, that is why i chose that over Brackets. From my little time working with brackets before i realized it was the same as Code, i did not see any disadvantages to using the free open source version.

I do not believe there is a way to use different browsers to preview. From what i understand it is only Chrome but i could be wrong as i have never attempted to change it. No matter what browser is synced to Live Preview you will still need to run it in multiple browsers to test it. This is not going to replace that step, this in my opinion is just the better way of doing what DW intended with Design View

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads