Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: 411 locals

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

411 locals

A friend of mine was contacted by these people about 3 months ago. They offered to make his website show up on search engines and that they would advertise all over the net for him. He did not have a site so they offered to build him one as well. The site is extremely generic.. No pictures of himself and its just a bad site. Not to mention that his site doesn't even appear in the 1st page like they promised him.. On top of ALL of this, they were charging him $100/month and just recently mentioned they may be raising the price.

He has cancelled their service but the site still remains up. He wants to use the domain but from what i can tell they own it? He wants me to design him a site but he is persistent on using the domain. Its a horrible name in my opinion but thats besides the point..

Does anyone know about this company? Do they own the domain or did he purchase it? He is clueless and i do not know how to find out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I'm guessing he does not own anything. So he's screwed.

That's one lesson to be learned by him and anyone else reading this. Nobody can guarantee 1st page listing, and you can actually get on Google's first page of search results without spending a dime. Don't ever spend money on SEO, pay for your own domain accounts and webhost accounts and never let anyone else have access to them.

Without actually subscribing to a webhost and domain host yourself, and with your own credit card, you won't stand a chance to gain control over anything.

Here's why extraordinary claims by SEO "experts" is a problem ... let's say that I sell "plastic widgets". My company is located in Minnesota and I have a website, a good domain name, great website content, and I've done some advertising. My friends in Wisconsin and Iowa do a search on Google for "plastic widgets". They are surprised that my website is #4 out of 1.5 million search results. To them, and to myself, I'm thrilled that I am on the 1st page. But ... some friends who live in Australia do the same exact search on Google. They find my site on page 8 of their Google's search results.

Why is that?

Because only Google knows how Google calculates search results. In just about all cases, the results vary by location and demographics. Nobody ... no SEO expert, no website design company, no "improve your ranking service" can control where your site will list with Google's results. I don't care how good they claim to be at SEO ... they are lying to you.

If you want a website, do it all yourself, with your own credit card. Make your site clear, concise, easy to navigate, and content that pertains to your business, products, or services. Advertise your site locally, and if you need to, advertise outside of your area. There's nothing wrong with getting your site URL listed on other websites, and there's nothing wrong with getting people to recognize you in social networks.

Don't spam, don't drop links on forums or blogs, don't hire slaves in India to enter your URL in every form they can find.
    Last edited by mlseim; Feb 22nd, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
    seanbehan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I explained all of this to him already and assumed that he would not get the domain. Just wanted to make sure because i do not know how companies like that work in regards to who owns the domain.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Max is right. Here's what he said straight from the horse's mouth:

https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/35291?hl=en

While Google would have to say something like that if they chose to say anything at all, objective evidence supports this as well. Factors such as geolocation, personalization, and desktop vs. mobile results (to name but 3) render a guarantee of "SEO first page ranking" completely null and void.

If that's not enough, consider how guarantees in general (read: not in SEO) are offered. Let's use a very simple example...computers. If you buy a computer from a retailer, the retailer may offer you a guarantee / warranty that the computer will last X length of time, or the part(s) that break will be replaced. But who actually pays on a warranty claim? Does the retailer? No. The retailer will take the RMA part back to the manufacturer and by extension the company that provided the warranty to get it replaced. The retailer does not have control over the length of time the computer and the parts in it will last, but the retailer does control the ability to replace those parts that fail within the warranty period.

Now, let's take a similar scenario and apply it to SEO. Let's consider a "first page ranking" guarantee. An SEO agency guarantees that you will rank for a term and show up on the first page. Google does not engage in any "SEO ranking" relationships with SEO agencies, as it would be counterintuitive to relevancy...by giving certain SEOs more of an advantage than others based on any kind of business relationship, the results would be tarnished. The "retailer" (in this case the SEO agency) cannot control the length of time, if at all, in which a client's page / site will appear in any of the top 10 positions for a keyword or phrase; only Google (the "manufacturer") can do this. They have something in common with the computer retailer in this case. However, they differ in that the SEO agency has no recourse whatsoever with Google should a client's page / site not appear in any of the top 10 positions for a keyword or phrase at any given time under any given set of circumstances. In other words, the agency has no way themselves in which to "claim" on a warranty on a service which they have no control over. Either the retailer has recourse with the manufacturer, or the manufacturer has the ability to rectify the warranty issue and chooses to act upon it. Neither exists in SEO.

As far as the domain is concerned, the good news is that your client would have a legitimate claim to the domain name as the company involved merely registered it on his behalf and has no legitimate title to the domain, whereas the client would as the owner of a company with legitimate business interests associated with that domain. The reason I gave the good news before the bad news, however, is because the bad news really really sucks. Depending on what the gTLD is associated with that domain (I'm guessing .com or .net), you probably will have to go through a company such as ICANN to get it back via their Domain Dispute Resolution Policy or something similarly named. ICANN has priced the DDRP process in such a way as to discourage frivolous domain disputes; however, in doing so, they've also made it ridiculously expensive and by extension prohibitive for those with legitimate domain issues such as this one. In other words, your client probably isn't going to get it back unless he's prepared to throw more money at it than it's worth.

Side note: this is one of the reasons most "top SEO" lists can't be taken seriously. These clowns are one of them.

411 Locals | topseos.com

Look at how good they are! They got a 91.2 score! Wow...what a bunch of experts! 91.2! Do you guys know what that means? That's ninety plus one plus point two! And you know that it's a legitimate ranking because they're just outside of a top 10 score and scores 2-5 aren't in order! Talk about tech-savvy Intarwebs #1 ranking awesomeness! I BELIEVE IN 411 YOKELS.

And those testimonials! They're from Pres.! And Owner / Executive Director! And A.! A. has never lied to me before, and I doubt he or she or it or both will now. THANK YOU A. FOR ENDORSING 411 YOKELS.

411 Locals - Internet Advertising Agency

I'm going to put their link here just so they see this thread and see that we believe in them and we want them to show us how to SEO our way to the top of guaranteed #1 status in all the major search engines. I think Rock Bottom SEO may have met its match, people.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I was well aware of all of this.. I actually was only curious about who owned the domain..

Nice read tho.. Haha

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Depends on how it was registered. If they do what most people do in that scenario and what their terms of service imply they do, then they own the domain...which is total BS but again, it's how they roll and it's next to impossible to fight, unfortunately.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads